Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot Integration to Seatalkng
01-19-19, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 10:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot Integration to Seatalkng
I've been studying the attached excellent diagram posted by another member and attempting to apply to my own planned setup. In my setup, the S2 autopilot and ST6001 will be the only legacy Seatalk components. Hence the connection from the S2 Autopilot to the ST6001 shown in the diagram is same as mine.
Q1: For my setup, may I connect the ST6001 seatalk "out" plug directly to the Seatalk-Seatalkng converter?
Q2: If I can, I assume that the red power wire at the Seatalk A terminal of the autopilot should be disconnected , correct?
Q3: Mainly for curiosity...in the diagram why isn't the ST6001 daisy chained to the other instruments in order to connect it to the Seatalk-Seatlkng converter?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-19, 10:45 AM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot Integration to Seatalkng
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Redman,

Q1: For my setup, may I connect the ST6001 seatalk "out" plug directly to the Seatalk-Seatalkng converter?
A1: This is not recommended. The diagram which you had attached correctly shows that the autopilot control head has been directly connected to one of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports, while all other SeaTalk devices have been connected to the other SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer. When installed in this manner, the autopilot may be operated irrespective of the power state of the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

The diagram is correct in all respects except for not indicated that the red lead of the SeaTalk cable which is connecting the autopilot course computer to the instruments (or ST-STng Converter) will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting. Additionally, a SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter Cable is used to interface an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2: If I can, I assume that the red power wire at the Seatalk A terminal of the autopilot should be disconnected , correct?
A2: See the response to Q1.

Q3: Mainly for curiosity...in the diagram why isn't the ST6001 daisy chained to the other instruments in order to connect it to the Seatalk-Seatlkng converter?
A3: See the response to Q1.
01-22-19, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 01:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for clarification Chuck. So I will need to integrate the ST6001 into the STng network by connecting a ST1 to bare-end cable (D229) to the Seatalk B terminal of the S2 Autopilot, then utilize the D244 connecting block to connect that cable to the ST-STng converter?
01-22-19, 01:25 PM
Redman,

Q. So I will need to integrate the ST6001 into the STng network by connecting a ST1 to bare-end cable (D229) to the Seatalk B terminal of the S2 Autopilot, then utilize the D244 connecting block to connect that cable to the ST-STng converter?
A. Not quite correct. The ST6001 will be connected to the SeaTalk A port of the S2 autopilot course computer via a ST1 to bare-end cable. As you have suggested, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalkng Converter and to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk Junction Block will then be connected to the SeaTalk B port of the S2 autopilot course computer via a ST1 to bare-end cable. When connecting the latter cable to the SeaTalk B port of the S2 autopilot course computer, the red lead of this cable will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting.
01-22-19, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 03:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Got it. Thank you !!
01-22-19, 03:59 PM
You're welcome.
01-31-19, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-19 08:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'm pretty much trying to do the same thing as you minus the wind graphic and ais transceiver. I'm trying to follow exactly what he told you to do but i feel like I'm missing something is there any way i can get you to draw up a diagram of exactly what the conclusion was?
02-01-19, 09:00 AM
Noted.
04-10-19, 04:47 AM
I have an old Raytheon S2 pilot that I wan5 to integrate with new Seatalkng components (AIS, new wind vane, etc...). I only have one ST7001 connected to the pilot via the first Seatalk network.

My plan is to use the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalkng Converter and connect it right away to the pilot.

Will this work ?
Shall I connect only the yellow and grey wites and avoid connecting the red one ?

Emmanuel
04-10-19, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-19 07:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Zanzibar,

You're on the right track. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.