Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS650 direct interface
02-19-19, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-19 01:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS650 direct interface
Hi Raymarine support, can you please answer the questions below, thanks;
I will be connecting the AIS650 to a Raymarine E125 Hybrid
I Know I need to fit the supplied AS650 external GPS to the AIS650 also a VHF AIS antenna (3db gain)
Which cable do I need for a direct fit to connect AS650 to the E125 Hybrid?
Will there be an automatic AIS overlay on the screen of the E125 Hybrid?
I do not have any Seatalk cable's as I have nothing else to go into the E135 Hybrid
Will any 12v in line fused power cable from a bus bar be OK for the AIS650?
I have a stand alone ES98 for my sounder & back up GPS mapping

thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-19, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-19 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] AIS650 direct interface
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pugwash North,

Q1. Which cable do I need for a direct fit to connect AS650 to the E125 Hybrid?
A1. No additional cable cable is required. The 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 leads of the AIS650 will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 leads of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable. The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 setting will then be configured to "AIS 38400".

A2. Will there be an automatic AIS overlay on the screen of the E125 Hybrid?
A2. Should the AIS layer be configured ON within the Chart application page/pane being viewed, then the AIS targets associated with data received from the AIS650 will be automatically plotted within that Chart application page/pane.

Q3. Will any 12v in line fused power cable from a bus bar be OK for the AIS650?
A3. It is generally recommended that maximum power load for an electrical circuit be no more than 80% of the rated circuit's breaker current rating. Example: if the 12V circuit is protected by a 20A fuse, then the maximum power consumption of the circuit's devices should be no more than .80 (12V x 20A) = 192W.

A4. I have a stand alone ES98 for my sounder & back up GPS mapping
A4. For maximum system capability, flexibility, and redundancy, you may want to consider interfacing the MFDs to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Doing so would permit the MFDs to share all system resources and data (except for analog NTSC/PAL video).
02-28-19, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-19 04:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, thank you for the reply, very informative. I have checked my AIS antenna specs which are; 0db ¼ wave type
1/ Will this antenna work OK with your unit?

Answer 4 above was very interesting & thought provoking. I know the ES98 has 10Hz GPS & the E125 has 5Hz GPS internal receivers. I have never "interfaced" before. Could you please explain what can be achieved by this?
2/ What functions/screen views would I be able to achieve? eg; sounder on both, GPS mapping on both, which GPS receiver would take preference, if any or the internal receiver of the unit you are using? (I suppose what I am asking is could I get the 10Hz GPS on the E125) AIS overlay on both screens?

I am away from my boat for a couple of months but eagerly awaiting testing all of the above.
Thanks again for your reply.
03-01-19, 12:07 PM
Pugwash North,

Q1. I have checked my AIS antenna specs which are; 0db ¼ wave type. Will this antenna work OK with your unit?
A1. Yes. However, its range will be limited to somewhat less than a normal AIS antenna which is usually 3dBi and has a range of 20-25 miles.

Q2. Answer 4 above was very interesting & thought provoking. I know the ES98 has 10Hz GPS & the E125 has 5Hz GPS internal receivers. I have never "interfaced" before. Could you please explain what can be achieved by this?
A2. As indicated within my previous response, the MFDs to share all system resources (ex. cartography, radar, fishfinder, SiriusXM satellite weather / radio, etc.), data (waypoints/routes/track, GPS data, navigational data, instrument data, navigational data, system state, alarms, etc.), and autopilot access / control.

Q3a. What functions/screen views would I be able to achieve? eg; sounder on both, GPS mapping on both,
A2a. Yes ... see the response to Q2.

Q3b. which GPS receiver would take preference,
A3b. For systems featuring more than one source of GPS, depth, wind, speed, date/time, etc., the Data Sources feature of the system's Data Master MFD (one of the MFDs would be designated as the system's Data Master MFD) would be used to specify which source of data will be used by the system for any type of data which has more than one source within the system. In this case, if would be recommended that the eS98 MFD be chosen as the system's data source for GPS, Date / Time, and GPS Datum.

A3c. I suppose what I am asking is could I get the 10Hz GPS on the E125 and AIS overlay on both screens?
A3c. Yes and yes.
04-08-19, 07:44 AM
Hi Chuck, I have the chance of another antenna for the 650 AIS. Can you comment on the sepc's of the this antenna being a better option than the previous item;
New spec, Fibreglass Whip 1.2m Long
Frequency 156-162 Mhz Gain 3 db S.W.R. 1.1 Impedance 50 Ohm Max Imput 25W Dc Closed
5mtrs cable length
RG 58 Includes PL259 Plug for self attachment.

thanks
04-08-19, 08:06 AM
Pugwash North,

AIS transponders and receivers use two VHF radio frequencies: 161.975 MHz (AIS1, or channel 87B) and 162.025 MHz (AIS2, or channel 88B). Raymarine also recommends that the gain of an antenna used with the AIS650 not exceed 3dB. The specifications of the VHF antenna which you have referenced appear to meet these requirements.