Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Plugs and General Wiring
03-04-19, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-19 02:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Plugs and General Wiring
Hi, I am wonder if it is possible to buy new termination plugs for your Raystar GPS units... Years ago I connected my unit to a Seatalk1 junction box (removing the Seatalk NG connector)... I am now in the process of upgrading to Seatalk NG and I'd like to refit the connector...

On the wiring front, I have now changed over to a A50D Classic plotter and have NEMA connections available from the following..

A50D Plotter
Smart Heading Unit
230E

Should any of these be connected? and if so which units

Thanks in advance

Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-19, 02:37 PM
RE: [CA11] Plugs and General Wiring
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

What model of Raystar GPS Sensor is presently installed onboard the vessel?
03-06-19, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-19 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck... I currently have the Raystar 125 Unit...

Kind Regards

Tim
03-06-19, 01:49 PM
Tim,

The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor does not support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor is designed to support SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. As such, the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor 's cable cannot simply be changed or a plug added to its cable to interface the sensor to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. If electing to continue use of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, it would be recommended that the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor be interfaced to the backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been installed as a backbone component. To do so, the SeaTalk Cable (you may want to re-use one which is already onboard) be spliced to the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable. The 3-pin press-fit plug of the SeaTalk Cable will then be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will then be used to join the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.

The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable may be spliced to a SeaTalk Cable as follows:
- Raystar 125 GPS Sensor Cable's red and green leads to SeaTalk Cable's red lead;
- Raystar 125 GPS Sensor Cable's yellow lead to SeaTalk Cable's yellow lead;
- Raystar 125 GPS Sensor Cable's brown and black/bare leads to SeaTalk Cable's bare lead.

Alternatively, you may want to consider replacing the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor or a AR200 IP Stabilization Module for Augmented Reality (GPS & heading, roll/pitch/yaw sensor).
03-07-19, 01:19 PM
Thanks Chuck.... I must apologies... It's actually a RS125 Plus.... If that makes any difference...

However I will look at up grading to the AR200 as that would mean I could remove the Smart Heading System and the Gyro...

Regards

Tim
03-07-19, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-19 02:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

A Raystar 125 Plus package was simply a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor which had been packaged with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit ... the same product that I identified within my initial response. It's been a while since the RS125 Plus package had been offered and I believe that it may have featured a cable with a yellow plug on the end of the cable which was intended to be inserted into the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's yellow (SeaTalk) socket. Should your cable still have this plug, then it should be used as I have described here. If not, then the method described within my previous response would be used to connect the RS125 Plus's Cable to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

I'm certain that you will find that SR200's heading performance is vastly superior to the Smart Heading System. The SR200 will also supply the system with 10Hz GPS updates vs the 1Hz updates supported by the RS125.