Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace C80 with Axiom 9
03-14-19, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-19 09:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace C80 with Axiom 9
I am replacing an original C80 with an Axiom 9 on a 2005 Tiara Coronet 290. Existing equipment which I would like to interface includes:

Evolution autopilot, ACU-200 with P70 control head
Airmar B-60 transducer
Ray 54 DSC radio
ST 60 TriData, if it is possible to connect to the newer systems

Also existing are Raystar 125 GPS antenna and DSM 30, which to my understanding will not be used in the upgrade. The boat is used for Lake Michigan fishing, 300' depth maximum.

Can you assist with the connectors I will need to order to complete the installation?

Thanks,
Cory
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-19, 10:08 AM
RE: [CA11] Replace C80 with Axiom 9
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Corey,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Will you be seeking the same type of fishfinder features which you have with the currently installed system and/or will you be seeking RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar features?
03-14-19, 10:48 AM
For now I will keep the B60 so whatever fish finder features it will provide are fine.

Thank you for the reply
03-14-19, 12:08 PM
Corey,

In this case, it would be recommended that the DSM30 be replaced with a CP370 and that an E70366-00-NAG Axiom 9, 9" MFD with Navionics Nav+ US & Canada Charts (NAG) be purchased. The B60 fishfinder transducer will be unplugged from the DSM30 and will instead be plugged into the CP370. The DSM30's Power Cable will be replaced with that which is supplied with the CP370. The CP370 will be interfaced to the Axiom 9 MFD via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The DeviceNet (M) plug of the Axiom MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable will need to be adapted to be mated to a spur (white) socket within the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which is currently interfacing the Evolution autopilot components to one another. The backbone will need to feature an SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with the latest available software) to interface the ST60 instrument and Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the system. In this case, it would be recommended that the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable be spliced to a SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug, which will be connected to one of the ST60 instrument's SeaTalk sockets. The backbone will additionally need to feature an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to interface the VHF radio to the system.
03-14-19, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the information, and please excuse my ignorance. Is it possible to connect the transducer directly to the axiom, avoiding the sonar module altogether? If so what capabilities are lost?

Thanks again
03-14-19, 02:36 PM
Cory,

Q1. Is it possible to connect the transducer directly to the axiom, avoiding the sonar module altogether?
A1. An Axiom 9 MFD features no internal fishfinder circuitry and as such a fishfinder transducer cannot be directly connected to an Axiom 9 MFD. An Axiom 9 RV MFD features internal RealVision and 600W 50kHz Fishfinder circuitry and may be adapted to be mated to a B60 fishfinder transducer which had been previously used with a DSM30/300. An Axiom 9 RV MFD retails for approximately $1600, while an Axiom 9 MFD retails for approximately $1300. A quick search of the Internet yielded prices as low as $707.

Q2. If so what capabilities are lost?
A2. Anecdotal feedback from some customers indicated better 50kHz / 200kHz fishfinder performance, particularly with respect to sensitivity (marking fish) and depth performance, when the same transducer was used with a CP370 instead of the Axiom RV's internal 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder circuitry.
03-14-19, 04:04 PM
I assume the Axiom 9 RV is compatible with the CP370, should I be unhappy with the performance of my setup and choose to add it later. Alternatively a new transducer could be installed to improve performance. Am I correct?

Also, does the built in GPS eliminate the need to connect to the Raystar 125 antenna? The boat has canvas overhead, no hard top. Is the navigation performance of the unit degraded by doing or not doing so?
03-15-19, 08:46 AM
Q1. I assume the Axiom 9 RV is compatible with the CP370, should I be unhappy with the performance of my setup and choose to add it later.
A1. Yes.

Q2. Alternatively a new transducer could be installed to improve performance. Am I correct?
A2. High performance 1kW transducers would certainly be expected to yield greater performance and image detail then lower performance transducers. That said, my recommendation would be to consider a CP370 before seeking a new transducers ... particularly if the currently installed transducer had performed well with your currently installed system.
03-15-19, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all your help, and also for your work on the MPSS for the Air Force. Fantastic system!
03-15-19, 10:17 AM
You're welcome!