Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] X-5 Autopilot i60 Wind Instrument
04-30-19, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 03:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] X-5 Autopilot i60 Wind Instrument
Been trying to network these two together. I'm trying to create the network using the 5 way connector for Seatalkng. To the 5way connector I have connect a STng power cable, a STng spur cable (to i60 wind instrument), and a STng cable to the Autopilot course computer SEng. There is a ST cable that then connects the Autopilot course computer to the Pilot controller (ST6002). As noted in the installation instructions, the red wire from the ST cable was not connected to the course computer since there is a power to the STng network.
To the best I can determine reading the manuals, this is the correct way to set up the connections.

Once this was completed and I powered up everything, the i60 was working but the ST6002 appeared to have no power. I then reconnect the red wire to the course computer and the ST6002 was operational. The problem is the ST6002 does not recognize any data from the i60. HELP!!!! What am I doing wrong???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-19, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 09:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] X-5 Autopilot i60 Wind Instrument
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum,

Q1. I then reconnect the red wire to the course computer and the ST6002 was operational.
A1. When using a compatible autopilot control head lacking a SeaTalkng communications interface (ex. ST6xxx, ST7xxx, ST8xxx) with an X5 autopilot course computer, the autopilot course computer will power the autopilot control head via it's SeaTalk port. Accordingly, all three leads of the SeaTalk cable must be connected to the corresponding SeaTalk terminals of the autopilot course computer.

Q2. The problem is the ST6002 does not recognize any data from the i60.
A2. As SPX autopilot course computers are not designed to bridge wind data from SeaTalkng to SeaTalk, wind data will not be visible on the ST6002 when the i60 Wind instrument has been interfaced to the system via SeaTalkng communications. However, this condition should not prevent the autopilot from being commanded into Wind Vand mode. If unable to command the autopilot into Wind Vane mode, then the likely cause of this issue is that the software within the X5 autopilot course computer may be an early version. Accordingly there would appear to be two options:
- send the autopilot course computer to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be have its software updated.
- as the communications socket of the i60 wind instrument is designed to support either SeaTalkng communications or SeaTalk communications (but not both simultaneously), disconnect the i60 Wind instrument from the SeaTalkng backbone and instead interface it to the remaining SeaTalk port of the ST6002 autopilot control head via an A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable.
05-01-19, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 07:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1: Understand because this worked as to getting power to the autopilot.
Q2: The course computer was sent in for repairs 3 years ago. How can I determine the version of the software currently installed before I go to the expense of sending it in again? What version needs to be installed to resolve this issue?

When I first installed the i60 wind instrument, before I tried setting up the network, I installed a ST cable from the ST6002 to the i60 (STng) hoping that it would shared data. All that it did was power the i60. No data was shared. I believe that I used the A06047 cable (same except length?) to accomplish.
05-01-19, 09:31 AM
Q1: The course computer was sent in for repairs 3 years ago. How can I determine the version of the software currently installed before I go to the expense of sending it in again? What version needs to be installed to resolve this issue?
A1: It is recommended SPX autopilots be operating with v3.05 software. The currently installed version of software within the SPX autopilot course computer may be determined by holding the STANDBY button pressed until the control head's software version is displayed. After seeing the control head's software version, press the DISPLAY button to view the version of software which is installed within the autopilot course computer.

Q2. When I first installed the i60 wind instrument, before I tried setting up the network, I installed a ST cable from the ST6002 to the i60 (STng) hoping that it would shared data. All that it did was power the i60. No data was shared. I believe that I used the A06047 cable (same except length?) to accomplish.
A2. Should the i60 Wind instrument be interfaced only to the system via SeaTalk (i.e. disconnect from the SeaTalkng backbone and connect to the ST6002 autopilot control head via an A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable or A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable to connect the i60 Wind instrument to the ST6002 autopilot control head). While wind data may not be displayed on the autopilot control head, it should be possible to command the autopilot into Wind Vane mode.
05-03-19, 05:25 PM
The control head version is 500 and the course computer version is 305. Did not display any decimal places.

When I installed the i60 wind instrument, I had used the Seatalk to Seatalkng cable (A22164 per the sealtalk to sealtalkng manual) to connect the autopilot to the i60. I had to do this to get power to the i60. The power is actually from the course computer. This is my current configuration.

I double checked everything today and when I try to initialize the wind tracking on the autopilot I get the message "NO DATA".

What is missing???
05-06-19, 10:17 AM
gewfish,

The ST6002 appears to be communicating correctly with the X5 autopilot course computer. However, should 1) the A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable (when interfaced directly to the ST6002) when used alone not have permitted the ST6002 from communicating with the i60 Wind instrument; and 2) should the i60 Wind instrument when interfaced via SeaTalkng alone to the X5 autopilot course computer (v3.05) not have permitted the autopilot to enter wind vane mode, then it would appear that the i60 Wind instrument may have a fault within its communications circuitry. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the i60 Wind instrument display Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Should it be easily accomplished, then you may want to consider sending the ST6002 along with the X5 to permit these devices to be tested as a system.
05-07-19, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Can you provide me an estimated cost of sending these in and having them bench checked and repaired if required? It cost me >$400 when I had a problem with the X-5 computer to have it checked, replaced. I'm not sure I can justify the cost for the small additional functionality that I will achieve.
05-07-19, 10:47 AM
gewfish,

As indicated, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the autopilot control head or SPX-5 autopilot course computer. I believe that the fault is rooted within the communications interface of the i60 Wind instrument. Raymarine's Product Repair Center's flat rate for i60 Wind instrument repairs is $225. If no fault is found with the autopilot control head or course computer, then no fee will be charged for these items. Within the note enclosed, it should be clearly stated that should any fault be found within the autopilot control head and/or course computer, that you should be contacted prior to proceeding with any repairs.