Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Power cable for Quantum
10-27-16, 09:04 PM
RE: Power and cable for Quantum
We will install a Quantum Radar on the mast going to a Raynet HS5 switch at the base of the bast down below.

I need 15M of cabling.

Do you recommend one cable (power and data) or two, and if so what would the cables and connectors be that you recommend for this configuration?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-16, 08:13 AM
RE: Power cable for Quantum
Lazybones,

If considering a wired communications link between a Quantum Radome and a Raymarine system, then it is generally recommended that an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable w/RayNet (F) connector on one end be installed within the mast to permit a single cable to be chased though the mast. An A80308 Quantum Adapter Cable may be used adapt a Digital Radar Cable for use with the Quantum Radome. All of this said, in sailing vessels, it is generally recommended that an appropriate length of Digital Radar Extension Cable be chased from the radome to the base of the mast, pole mount or backstay. This will permit the Digital Radar Extension Cable to be quickly and cleanly disconnected from the vessel's wiring should the mast, pole mount, backstay mount, etc. be removed. The Digital Radar Extension Cable will be connected to an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable w/RayNet (F) plug. The aforementioned adapter is also designed for use with Digital Radar Extension Cables. The Digital Radar Cable will in turn be interfaced to the power and to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.
10-28-16, 11:41 AM
Chuck:

Just to confirm, in order to get a single cable run from the Quantum to the base of the mast where I will connect to an HS5, I will need an:

A80229 which is a single 15m a power and data cable. This cable will connect to a A80308 Y adapter at the Quantum radar on the mast, with the other data end connecting to an HS5 and open leads for connecting to 12v power?
10-28-16, 01:45 PM
Lazybones,

Q) Just to confirm, in order to get a single cable run from the Quantum to the base of the mast where I will connect to an HS5, I will need an:

- A80229 which is a single 15m a power and data cable. This cable will connect to a A80308 Y adapter at the Quantum radar on the mast, with the other data end connecting to an HS5 and open leads for connecting to 12v power?
A) Correct
05-30-19, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Power cable for Quantum
I have an existing A98 and am adding a Quantum Q24C (plus an EV-150 and Seatalkng setup). No radar existed previously.

I think what got me was the Quantum Data Cable's name matches my radar so that sounded logical, right? But then I'm running two cables. From reading more this sounds better, right?

1) A80308 at the radome (on an arch on a powerboat).

2) A80227 data and power cable.

So that was question #1.

Additional questions:

2) The 80227 plugs into my A98 plus also goes to switched power source. How much can I split apart the cable at that end -- because the A98 and my switched power block are 2-3' apart?

3) I need about 6 meters of cable (natch). I don't have a lot of space for coiling up excess. Is there any performance hit if I add an A92141D extension vs. going with a 10 meter cable? The connector would be in an enclosed cabin.

(I would first see if I could make the 5 meter work. It's possible due to the slight addition of the Y cable.)

Thank you!
06-03-19, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

I have an existing A98 and am adding a Quantum Q24C (plus an EV-150 and Seatalkng setup). No radar existed previously.

I think what got me was the Quantum Data Cable's name matches my radar so that sounded logical, right? But then I'm running two cables. From reading more this sounds better, right?

1) A80308 at the radome (on an arch on a powerboat).

2) A80227 data and power cable.

So that was question #1.

Additional questions:

2) The 80227 plugs into my A98 plus also goes to switched power source. How much can I split apart the cable at that end -- because the A98 and my switched power block are 2-3' apart?

3) I need about 6 meters of cable (natch). I don't have a lot of space for coiling up excess. Is there any performance hit if I add an A92141D extension vs. going with a 10 meter cable? The connector would be in an enclosed cabin.

(I would first see if I could make the 5 meter work. It's possible due to the slight addition of the Y cable.)
06-03-19, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Q1. From reading more this sounds better, right?
- A80308 at the radome (on an arch on a powerboat).
- A80227 data and power cable.
A1. Your suggestion is consistent with my recommendation.

Q2. The A80227 plugs into my A98 plus also goes to switched power source. How much can I split apart the cable at that end -- because the A98 and my switched power block are 2-3' apart?
A2. The power/drain leads of the Digital Radar Cable will need to be extended using marine grade cable / wire of the similar gauge.

Q3. I need about 6 meters of cable (natch). I don't have a lot of space for coiling up excess. Is there any performance hit if I add an A92141D extension vs. going with a 10 meter cable?
A3. Negative.
06-13-19, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-19 08:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I'm sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. I thought I had e-mail notification turned on but must not have.

I have a new wrinkle though. Without dragging the description out into a lengthy tome, I'll just say that my new radar arch looks like it may pose some issues if I use the Y adapter and the combined cable (because of where the longish junction pieces on the Y adapter end up as they exit the dome combined with my arch details).

If I run two cables, then no Y adapter junctions, and this may end up working better in the area where it exits the bottom of the Q24C and goes into my arch because although it would be two cables, they would be making that transition in an uninterrupted section(s) of plain cabling vs. the longer stiff junction of the Y adapter and the combined single cable being at the aft end of the dome.

But I still also have to consider the diameter of the cables and the connectors vis-a-vis the entry [censored] in the arch tubing. I looked up your page listing cable diameters and am not sure I have it (or the whole scheme) right. So could I confirm the following options and dimensions?

Option A:
1) The supplied Quantum power cable (A80309) will have bare ends going into the arch/boat. The cable diameter will be....?"

2) A Raynet to Raynet cable would be the second cable. If I only need 5 meters this would be A80005, and would measure as follows:

- cable diameter: 0.230"
- RayNet plug diameter: 0.710"
- RayNet plug length: 1.680

Option B:

1) The A80308 Y connector

2) The A80277 Quantum data cable. I can't find the specs as far as the diameter of the cable and diameters and lengths of the end pieces. Can you help me with that? Is it the same as below? Somehow I'm not sure this is the same thing, but it's from your dimensions post:

"Digital Radar Cables are available in RayNet (F) plug or with RJ45 plug. These cables have the following approximate dimensional characteristics:
.25 cabe
- cable diameter: 0.480"
- Digital Radar plug diameter: 0.790"

I think that may not be the Quantum data cable though?

As a reply to my reply, I think my confusion lies in the fact that I can find data for the Digital Radar Cable (that's the combined data and power), and the Raynet to Raynet cable, but I can't find any specific info on the "Quantum Data Cable" and/or how it differs (?) from a Raynet to Raynet cable in function or dimensions. For example, the A80274 vs. the A80005.

On this page I don't find detailed info on the Quantum data cable:
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=5537
And I don't see it on the helpful cable dimensions page you have on the forum.

Reason I ask:

If I can't make the Y connector and Digital Radar Cable combo fit my installation, then I'll be using the Quantum Power Cable that came with my Q24C and.....the A80274? Or the A80005? Are these interchangeable? If so, does one or the other have one smaller end (for chasing), or?

Thanks again.

Piney Pete
06-13-19, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Pete,

Q1) The supplied Quantum power cable (A80309) will have bare ends going into the arch/boat. The cable diameter will be....?"
A1) Quantum Power Cable diameter (0.3")

Q2) A Raynet to Raynet cable would be the second cable. If I only need 5 meters this would be A80005, and would measure as follows:
- cable diameter: 0.230"
- RayNet plug diameter: 0.710"
- RayNet plug length: 1.680
A2) Yes.

Q3) The A80277 Quantum data cable. I can't find the specs as far as the diameter of the cable and diameters and lengths of the end pieces. Can you help me with that?
A3) Quantum Data Cable
- diameter: 0.250"
- RayNet plug (each end): diameter: 0.710"

Q4) As a reply to my reply, I think my confusion lies in the fact that I can find data for the Digital Radar Cable (that's the combined data and power), and the Raynet to Raynet cable, but I can't find any specific info on the "Quantum Data Cable" and/or how it differs (?) from a Raynet to Raynet cable in function or dimensions. A4) Functionally speaking, the Quantum Data Cable and RayNet cables are interchangeable. The Quantum Data Cable features a heavier sheath than the RayNet cables.

Q5) If I can't make the Y connector and Digital Radar Cable combo fit my installation, then I'll be using the Quantum Power Cable that came with my Q24C and.....the A80274? Or the A80005? Are these interchangeable? If so, does one or the other have one smaller end (for chasing), or?
A5) See the response to Q4, the RayNet plugs of these cables are identical.
06-13-19, 10:11 PM
Chuck,

Thank you very much. You answered my questions with all the details I needed. If I go the two cable route then I think the more robust sheathing on the QDC sounds like a plus since there is very little added bulk and the ends are the same.

Thanks again. You and this forum are a big part of why I decided to go "all in" with Raymarine (had A98, but now adding radar and autopilot and Axiom is probably in my future).

PP