Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] E80 plotter with AIS 700
05-25-19, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-19 01:58 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
E80 plotter with AIS 700
Hello,

I have two questions.

1. What is the typical range to see AIS with the antenna on a 17meter mast? I understand you might be able to see class A AIS a bit further as they use 12.5 watts. With class B using 2. Im currently only seeing targets 3nm away or less. My VSRW is 1
6. I have changed the antenna but still seems to be 3nm.

2. When connecting the AIS 700 to a E80 in order to enable slient mode is there a way to connect the wires to the chart plotter to do this or do you need to use an external swtich?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-19, 02:04 AM
RE: E80 plotter with AIS 700
Hello nachothecat,

Your VSWR is 1.6, or 16? 1.6 is improbably low (possible but unlikely), whilst 16 is that'll-never-work high (see the 'Reflected Power %' column of the table half-way down http://www.antenna-theory.com/definitions/vswr.php for example.) You're seeing that VSWR in ProAIS2 over a USB connection from the AIS, or with a VSWR meter?
If you've used another *AIS-tuned* antenna, that's reasonably sensitive at ~162MHz where AIS operates (many VHF antennas are great at 156MHz / Channel 16, poor at 162MHz) with completely new cabling and have the same result, I'd get the AIS checked by your local Raymarine service dealer or centre.

No, I'm sorry to say that the E80 is too old to switch Silent Mode on AIS700.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply