Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] DSC/GPS Radio Connections from Axiom 7
06-01-19, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-19 09:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] DSC/GPS Radio Connections from Axiom 7
Hi there. I've read a few older threads on this subject but still a bit confused.
Can someone clarify if my understanding is correct or if there is another alternative.

I'm updating my Raymarine E7 to an Axiom 7. With my current E7 configuration, I'm using the SeaTalk - STNG - Converter (E22158) to connect to older ST60 wind, speed and depth instruments. Also have an older Standard Horizon Matrix with DSC connected via the NMEA-0183 out on the E7. The radio does not have AIS.

I understand the Axiom 7 does not have a NMEA-0183 interface. To interface with the legacy Standard Horizon, is it necessary install a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG).

Does all of this still apply or is there another alternative short of upgrading the radio. Is the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG still the best solution or are there any other products or workarounds.

Advice appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-19, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-19 09:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] DSC/GPS Radio Connections from Axiom 7
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sailormannn,

Q. Does all of this still apply or is there another alternative short of upgrading the radio. Is the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG still the best solution or are there any other products or workarounds.
A. Should the VHF radio feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it may simply be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. If not and only seeking to provide the GPS data to the DSC VHF radio, then the solution specified here would be recommended. If not and seeking to additionally support transmission of DSC information from the DSC VHF radio to the MFD, then the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge would not be recommended, as the Actisense NGW-1's documentation does not indicate that it bridges NMEA 0183 DSC sentences. It is recommended that the documentation or support team for any NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device being consideredbe contacted for verification of support for bridging the NMEA 0183 DSC sentence.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply