Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Mfd/nematode 0183
06-16-19, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-19 05:56 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Mfd/nematode 0183
Es128 interfaced with B&g network via nmea 0183. All ok except pilot loses nmea input every 20mins or so so pilot stops. Putting pilot on standby then back to auto corrects this for another20 mins. Wiring checks out ok. No data loops I know of. Never happened when interfaced with older gps. Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-19, 06:51 AM
RE: [LW11] Mfd/nematode 0183
Dear Nandi,

Thank you for your post.

What is the GPS source?
How many GPS sources are there onboard?
Has the B&G system got a GPS antenna?
What was the older GPS?
What software are you running on the eS128?
What manufacturer and type of autopilot are you using?
Is there an error message on the pilot control head when the pilot stops?
Are there any alarms sounding?
Does this happen when tracking to a route or waypoint?
Does this happen when only auto is engaged and not tracking?

Many Thanks
Louise
06-21-19, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-19 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi,

1. The GPS source is the es128 mfd internal gps; satellite status seems fine.
2. There is one other gps source integrated into the system, an older Philips AP Navigator gps which works fine but is switched off when using the MFD.
3. There is no further Gps connected,B&G or otherwise.
4. The older gps is the Philips navigator mentioned in ‘2’ above.
5. The es128 is running Lighthouse 1, v19.03-00036
6. The pilot is a B&G Network Pilot, same vintage as the Network instruments.
7. Yes, the pilot head shows’ No Nmea input’; the instruments ( wind ,speed,depth etc.) all show ‘pilot error’.
8. The Network instruments sound alarm when this occurs.
9. Yes this is when the fault occurs, when tracking a route.
10. No, there is no problem when not tracking, I.e. following compass course or wind mode, but no nmea input required for this.

Hope this helps
06-25-19, 09:52 AM
Dear Nandi,

Could you please send over a wiring diagram of the installation?

Have you spoken with B&G to ensure this is not a problem with the NMEA on the autopilot?

Many Thanks
Louise
06-26-19, 03:15 AM
Hi Louise, thanks for the reply.

I am cruising at the moment but will be back at the weekend and will send diagram then.
I haven’t spoken to B&G as the system works fine with the Phillips navigator engaged, so It seemed the problem lay either with the mfd or the installation wiring (which I checked, with particular regard to the port 1 outputs)
Cheers
Alan
06-26-19, 06:27 AM
Enjoy your cruising and await your diagram.
06-29-19, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-19 12:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Louise, attached wiring diagrams:
(1) shows new wiring to install es128. The extension cable used was Belden 8103 screened data cable. The VDO plotter is a standalone unit, only connected to the AIS engine but is not used or switched on.
(2) shows the B&G Network connections prior and following es 128 install.
(3) shows NMEA connections for B&G NAV unit, which is where NMEA connections must be made to the Network system.

hope this helps
Cheers
Alan
07-05-19, 06:58 AM
Dear Nandi,

Thank you for the reply.

When the system alarms are outputting 'NMEA data' is the eS alarming 'no GPS source'?

Different devices have different time lapses when listening for NMEA data. This could be an issue with the internal GPS dropping out and regaining a fix but the NMEA sentence is not being received by the network in time to prevent it alarming. Do your instruments have the ability to alarm for different data loss i.e no GPS fix or is it only no NMEA? The alarm notifications can assist in identifying problems.

You could try a different NMEA 0183 port on the eS to see if this resolves the issue, you could also try isolating the network to smaller systems i.e just the eS and autopilot to see if the issue continues or it may highlight another area that needs addressing on the NMEA 0183 network.

You can send the eS unit back to us for test and repair here.

Many Thanks
Louise