Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v17.45 failed to update EV-1 Sensor Core software
05-26-16, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-16 11:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v17.45 failed to update EV-1 Sensor Core software
I am in process of adding a 2nd STng converter so I can connect my older Standard Horizon VHF radio to my backbone, and be able to use the DSC function.
A tech at Raymarine suggested I update software first to be sure the system was up to date. Was running on v 13.37 software. MFD is an a75 unit, Autopilot is EV100 with P70 control head; instruments are i60's; digital radar; AIS650;. Everything new in early 2015.
Everything was running fine before I installed the new software update, had used the autopilot previous weekend, but after update, :-( . . . the autopilot stopped working. During the update process, a message came on the MFD display "autopilot timed out". All other modules seemed to process OK, and at the end, MFD display screen said "updates successful", but the P70 display screen said "no pilot". And that's where I am now, no autopilot. Have tried installing the ray_Pilots_20160517_upgrade.iso software by itself to no avail. Still "no pilot".
The same Raymarine tech now says . . . "I would recommend to break down the STNG backbone to just the EV1 sensor and the MFD and see if that fixes the issue. If all else fails, I would recommend to send it in for a technician to evaluate the component."
I really don't want to physically dismantle the system that was working perfectly before the software update.

Thanks for help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-16, 11:51 AM
RE: Latest software update v 17.45 "killed" my autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gary,

We're sorry to learn of the problem reported in updating your system's EV-1 Sensor Core as part of the v17.45 a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update. We have received some reports of the remote update failing to update the software of EV Sensor Cores. This problem has been reported to Raymarine's engineering team to seek correction of the timeout issue. In the overwhelming majority of cases, commanding the EV-1 Sensor Core to be updated a second time or forcing the update into the device per the information found here.
05-26-16, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-16 07:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v17.45 failed to update EV-1 Sensor Core software
I have tried "forcing" the MFD to input only the Evolution EV1 and EV2 Heading Sensor Version 2.17 . . . it is titled "ray_Pilots_20160517_.upgrade.iso" after you download it. And you are forced to first burn it to disk, and then copy to a micro sd card . . . laborious and time consuming . . . anyway, it did not take.

I may be looking too deep into this, but within that Pilots file, there is no separate file listed specifically as an EV file. There are only: ACU_release V2_17.pkg; CCU_release V2_17.pkg; manifest.xml; manifest.md5sum; manifest.xsd; and P70_PilotV3_05.pkg files . . . nothing like "EV sensor core". As I have now watched (intently), the 3 times my MFD cycled thru the update process, it never showed anything on the screen about an EV file. It did show P70, and ACU . . . etc. Therefore, I'm wondering if all the work you outlined in your link, steps 1 thru 7, (and we're looking at several hours here!), may be for naught because engineering simply forgot to include the EV file??
In addition, there is a warning on the software update page that says:
"Warning Pilot System - You must update EV1 Sensor before updating your ACU"
So if, in using the above update files, it loaded ACU software, and not EV software, then of course we have problems.
What to do now?
Thank you,
Garybuyit
05-27-16, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-16 08:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Gary,

Q1: I have tried "forcing" the MFD to input only the Evolution EV1 and EV2 Heading Sensor Version 2.17 . . . it is titled "ray_Pilots_20160517_.upgrade.iso" after you download it. And you are forced to first burn it to disk, and then copy to a micro sd card . . . laborious and time consuming . . . anyway, it did not take.
A1: The instructions call for copying the downloaded .iso file to the root level directory of the microSD memory card, not running/executing/double-clicking on the downloaded .iso file. Within a Windows operating system, .iso files are typically associated with the Windows Disk Burner application. Hence, had you done the latter, then the Windows Disk Image Burner application would have been displayed as you have stated. Instead, should you have either chosen your Internet browser's option to "Show In Folder' or had opened your computer's Downloads folder, then you would have seen the ray_Pilots_20160517_.upgrade.iso ... right click on this file to copy it and then paste it into the root level directory of the microSD memory card.

Q2. I may be looking too deep into this, but within that Pilots file, there is no separate file listed specifically as an EV file. There are only: ACU_release V2_17.pkg; CCU_release V2_17.pkg; manifest.xml; manifest.md5sum; manifest.xsd; and P70_PilotV3_05.pkg files . . . nothing like "EV sensor core". As I have now watched (intently), the 3 times my MFD cycled thru the update process, it never showed anything on the screen about an EV file. It did show P70, and ACU . . . etc. Therefore, I'm wondering if all the work you outlined in your link, steps 1 thru 7, (and we're looking at several hours here!), may be for naught because engineering simply forgot to include the EV file??
A2. The ray_Pilots_20160517_.upgrade.iso file indeed includes the software update for the EV Sensor Cores, ACUs, and p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head ... this has been verified by updating the software of my own EV-1 sensor core.

Q3. In addition, there is a warning on the software update page that says:
"Warning Pilot System - You must update EV1 Sensor before updating your ACU"
So if, in using the above update files, it loaded ACU software, and not EV software, then of course we have problems.
What to do now?
A3. Per the FAQ referenced within my earlier response, when having problems updating the EV Sensor it is recommended that all devices except for the MFD and EV Sensor Core be disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone (the backbone will need to be powered using a SeaTalkng Backbone Power Cable) and that the update be performed again via the MFD's Check Card For Updates feature. Should you still be unable to update the EV Sensor Core's software, then it is recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be updated.
06-13-16, 04:16 PM
I had the same problem with the EV-1 Course Computer "Time Out" during installation or R17. I followed these instructions with the noted modification and it updated successfully.

6) should the remote device fail to update as a result of performing steps 1-5 above and the individual software update download file be a .iso file, then it is recommended that
a) the Data Master MFD be switched OFF
b) the microSD memory card be removed from the MFD's memory card reader
c) the software update files be deleted from the microSD memory card (using a computer)
d) the software update iso file for the device which failed to update be downloaded from Raymarine's web site and that it be copied to the root level directory of the microSD memory card.

New...
I disconnected all spur cables, in my case just the ACU but left the EV-1 Sensor AND the p70 control head connected.

e) the Data Master MFD be switched ON and permitted to complete startup initialization
f) the microSD memory card containing the only the software update files for the device to be updated be inserted into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader
g) the MFD be commanded to Check Card For Updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES) and that the MFD then be commanded to update the device which had timed out during the update once more.
06-16-16, 07:05 PM
FYI . . . I finally removed the heading sensor and sent to Raymarine for repair. They updated software in the Sensor and its on the way back to me now.

Will I have to once again perform the dockside wizard, sea trials, etc., to recalibrate the autopilot?

Thanks,
Gary B.
06-17-16, 10:02 AM
Yes.
05-18-17, 05:35 PM
I just had same problem updating my system's EV-1 Sensor Core as part of the v17.45 a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update. All the other devices (STNG-Convert, p70 display, AC100 remote updates were successful. The software update of EV Sensor Core failed due to "timeout". Attempted to command the EV-1 Sensor Core to be updated a second time by going to "check SD card for updates" but EV1 is now not recognized and does show up in devices menu.
EV1 now has a red blinking light showing. Any suggestions?
05-19-17, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Whittem,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case it would be recommended that the components connected to the backbone be reduced to the MFD and EV-1 Sensor Core.
05-29-17, 07:31 AM
e7D MFD is not recognizing the EV1 sensor. It does not show as an upgradable device. I will return sensor for Raymarine tech service to update firmware.