Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading my A70D
09-27-19, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading my A70D
I have the following equipment on the sailboat that I recently purchased:
A70D Chartplotter
ST40 Wind Instrument
S1 Wheel Pilot-Smart Pilot Series
ST6002 Smart Pilot Controller
DSM25 Sounder module

I would like to update the A70 to a plotter with marina to marina capability and was wondering if that is possible without replacing the auto pilot and wind instrument? If yes could you recommend an updated plotter?

Thank you for your help.
Brent
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-19, 03:12 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading my A70D
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brent,

Please note that a DSM25 does not have the capability to be interfaced to the items specified. It may be possible that a fishfinder transducer which had been interfaced to the DSM25 was disconnected from the DSM25 and is currently interfaced to the A70D to support its fishfinder features. There is a good chance that the ST40 instrument and autopilot may be interfaced to a currently manufactured MFD and that the transducer which is presently interfaced to the A70D, may be adapted to be mated to a currently manufactured MFD. ST40 instruments and your autopilot components may be adapted to be used with Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs.
03-29-20, 09:58 AM
I purchased an Axiom 9 and am finally getting around to installing it. There are 4 wires that are wired directly into the power cord on the A70:
Yellow(NMEA Tx1+VE), Brown(-VE), Orange/Yellow(NMEA TX2+VE), Orange/Brown(-VE)
These 4 wires originate at the ST6 002 controller and I’m not sure how to install them in the new system.
Thank you for your help so far and I hope to hear from you soon.
Brent Johnston
03-30-20, 09:01 AM
Brent,

Unlike Axiom Pro & Axiom XL MFDs, Axiom MFDs have not been designed with a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Depending upon the model of Raymarine autopilot course computer which has been installed onboard, the following methods may be employed:

a) the autopilot course computer and MFD would each be interfaced as spurs to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone ... in this case, not applicable, as the S1 does not feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface

b) the MFD would be interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which would in turn include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject ... this would be considered to be the best installation practice and would also address how the ST40 instrument may be interfaced to the system.

c) the MFD would be interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which would in turn include a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). The NMEA 0183 output leads of the NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the autopilot course computer or autopilot control head.

Not indicated within your equipment list is any mention of a DSC VHF radio. I suspect that the second set of NMEA 0183 leads from the A70D's Power/NMEA 0183 Cable were interface to the VHF radio to supply it with GPS data. The following options would apply to additionally interface a DSC VHF radio to the system:

a) should option b) have been selected from the options above, then the backbone may additionally include an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit.

b) should option c) have been selected from the options above, then the NMEA 0183 output of the NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device may be parallel to not only supply data to the autopilot, but also to the VHF radio.
03-31-20, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 02:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for all of the information. We have an ST6002 pilot controller and purchased an E22158 work the Axiom 9. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure out everything that you're telling me though. I'll keep working on it. If I need help do you know of anyone in the Boise Idaho area that might be able to do the install? If not maybe in the Seattle area. We're planning a trip to Desolation Sound in July.
Thanks again for your help.
Brent
03-31-20, 03:15 PM
Brent,

Q1. We have an ST6002 pilot controller and purchased an E22158 work the Axiom 9.
A1. Then option b) within my initial post would be used to interfaced the autopilot to the Axiom MFD.

Q2. If I need help do you know of anyone in the Boise Idaho area that might be able to do the install? If not maybe in the Seattle area.
A2. Please click here to access Raymarine's Locate a Dealer web page, where one may locate Certified Raymarine Installers state, city, or zip code. Mark's Marine (208.773.9038) is located in Hayden, ID.
04-01-20, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-20 12:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for all of your help.
04-01-20, 12:12 PM
You're welcome.