Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
10-06-19, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
Can I get some help choosing transducers for my new raymarine system. My new set up will include the following one Axiom pro 9rvx(helm mounted), one Axiom pro 9s(helm mounted), and one axiom 9(in the cockpit area).

Bottom fishing in 300'-400'
Tuna fishing 1,000'-1,500'
Salmon trolling in the rivers (15-50') and in the ocean (50'-200')

I'm interested in at least 1 through hull mounted transducer. Boat has a 19 degree deadrise on a 23' fiberglass boat.

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-19, 07:50 AM
RE: [CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lukerabun,

Is the boat trailered?
10-13-19, 03:49 PM
Thanks Chuck!

Yes I trailer the boat.
10-14-19, 09:16 AM
lukerabun,

Is the boat's hull constructed from fiberglass and the hull will permit a M260 in-hull to be installed, then this would be the recommended option for those seeking to install a thru-hull transducer. If seeking to install an thru-hull transducer, the A102113 B164 (20 degree) - Sonar Transducer would be recommended. For shallow water operation and for use of RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar, an A80464 RV-100 All-In-One Transom Mount Transducer would be recommended.
10-15-19, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-19 12:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. This was good information that has helped me understand better what what I might want. I'll admit that although I have hundreds maybe even a thousand plus hours with my current transducer and MDF (lowerance HDS 7 gen2) but I don't know the technicalities of transducers. Although I have been doing some research which leads me to my next questions.

1. Is the RV-100 also a chirp traditional sonar or does the Chirp only apply to the down, side, and RealVision modes?

2. I'm leaning towards the M260 but I noticed it's not a Chirp transducer. Is Chirp something that will give more definition in regards to locating fish and bottom composition, what is the Chirp advantage?

3. Based on the MFD selection ( 2 Axiom pros and one Axiom 9) and fishing environment what would be the top of the line? What would a pro fisherman use in this case?

My thoughts are to do it once, and to do it right. I don't want to buy something I don't need but I'm more that willing to spend more money on something that will make a large difference .

Thanks in advance
10-16-19, 12:53 PM
lukerabun,

Q1. Is the RV-100 also a chirp traditional sonar or does the Chirp only apply to the down, side, and RealVision modes?
A1. Yes. The RV-100 transducer supports RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging. You may select to display any one of the above types of imagining or all for within independent fishfinder sonar application pane.

Q2. I'm leaning towards the M260 but I noticed it's not a Chirp transducer. Is Chirp something that will give more definition in regards to locating fish and bottom composition, what is the Chirp advantage?
A2. The quality of imaging is dependent upon the species of fish and the frequency used to sound. While CHIRP transducers can potentially detect more species, the time proven 50kHz/200kHz frequencies are generally considered best for tuna.

Q3. Based on the MFD selection ( 2 Axiom pros and one Axiom 9) and fishing environment what would be the top of the line? What would a pro fisherman use in this case?
A3. Professional fishermen would typically select Axiom Pro MFDs because of their hybridTouch interfaces rather than rely upon touchscreens. They would also be recommended to select external fishfinder sounder modules rather than MFDs having embedded sonar circuitry for maximum sonar performance. Accordingly, Axiom Pro S MFDs and a RVX-1000 would be recommended. Should you ever desire to dabble in high power CHIRP sonar, the M260 may simply be removed from its reservoir and replaced with a M265 CHIRP transducer.
10-18-19, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-19 01:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for your response it was helpful, but has led me to these questions.

1. Can the RV220 transducers be mounted too close or too far away from each other?

2. Is the only difference between the Rv100 and the RV220s the material they are made out of, or is there a performance difference?

3. When transom mounted will the lower unit of the OB motor interfere with the RV100's signal?

4. If mounted to close to each other is it possible that a TH 1KW Chip transducer and the RV220s would cause interference with each other?

5. I've seen the Axiom ProS described as having "high chirp sonar" and the Axiom RVX has having "1KW chirp sonar", what's the difference?

6. Is Lighthouse NC2 include with Axiom e7037-00-NAG? It would be better than what it comes with if not correct?

7. Is Realbathy standard with one of these units or is it an add-on? How does transducer selection effect this function?

8. Other than a RV100 or RV220 pair what is needed to get the full benefit of the 3D function?

9. Could I use a 600watt transducer such as the B75M or does the transducer power rating have to match the power rating of the Axiom unit, in this case 1KW?

Thanks in advance!
10-18-19, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-19 11:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
lukerabun,

Q1. Can the RV220 transducers be mounted too close or too far away from each other?
A1. I'll begin this response by indicating that thru-hull RV transducers would not typically be recommended for trailered boats as they can be easily damaged be loading or unloading. With respect to locating them in proximity to one another, they may be installed as closely as the transducer's shafts (which will point toward one another) will permit. With respect to how far they may be separated, this is limited the supplied cable joining the transducers to one another (2m).

Q2. Is the only difference between the Rv100 and the RV220s the material they are made out of, or is there a performance difference?
A2. The RV-212, RV-312, RV-412, RV-220, RV-320, and RV-420 transducer pairs feature tilted elements, while the RV-100, RV-200, RV-300, and RV-100 are all essentially the same in design, and performance, differing only in method of installation, type of mount, or material used for the mount.

Q3. When transom mounted will the lower unit of the OB motor interfere with the RV100's signal?
A3. It is quite possible that a lower unit may interfere with transducer energy which is directed toward the lower unit. The degree of such will vary and be dependent on the design of the number of outboards/drives and how far aft their leading edge is in relation to the transducer. As such tilting the outboard/drive can sometimes reduce such interference which would typically manifest itself as a blind spot.

Q4. If mounted to close to each other is it possible that a TH 1KW Chip transducer and the RV220s would cause interference with each other?
A4. Possibly, depending upon the frequency of the TH 1kW CHIRP transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Such interference may appear of noise within the plot of the sonar imaging supported by the RV transducer. One of the benefits of installing an in-hull or thru hull 1kW transducer would be the additional separation may reduce such effect.

A5. I've seen the Axiom ProS described as having "high chirp sonar" and the Axiom RVX has having "1KW chirp sonar", what's the difference?
A5. Axiom Pro S MFDs are designed to be mated to a CPT-S transducer to support low power, high frequency CHIRP conical sonar. The Axiom Pro RVX and RVX1000 sounder modules each support the same type of sonar imaging when a RV transducer has been interfaced to the MFD or sounder module. The Axiom Pro RVX and RVX1000 sounder modules may additionally and simultaneously be interfaced to a 1kW CHIRP or compatible 600W/1kW 50kHz/200kHz transducer to support deep water operation and support better bottom tracking while operating at planing speeds. 1kW CHIRP transducers are available in a number of frequency ranges. See the previously referenced FAQ to view the frequency ranges used by RV transducers.

Q6. Is Lighthouse NC2 include with Axiom e7037-00-NAG? It would be better than what it comes with if not correct?
A6. Negative. A Navionics+ chart card is included within the referenced bundle.

Q7. Is Realbathy standard with one of these units or is it an add-on? How does transducer selection effect this function?
A7. RealBaythy is a feature supported by any model of Axiom MFD which is running the latest available software and has been equipped to support sonar imaging. RealBathy is not dependent upon any specific type of cartography.

Q8. Other than a RV100 or RV220 pair what is needed to get the full benefit of the 3D function?
A8. Nothing.

Q9. Could I use a 600watt transducer such as the B75M or does the transducer power rating have to match the power rating of the Axiom unit, in this case 1KW?
A9. Yes, 600W transducers which have been designed to be directly (not adapted) mated to a CP370 sounder module may be adpated to be mated to an Axiom Pro RVX MFD's 1kW Transducer socket or to the 1kW Transducer socket of an RVX-1000.
11-12-19, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-19 08:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck thanks man I'm really learning a lot here. Of course the more I learn, the more I research which has lead me to more questions. TIA

Q1. So from what I have learned I'm thinking a B175 HW, a B175M, and a RV100 will be the most effective for the kind of fishing I do. Based on your knowledge and experience is there something I might be overlooking?

Q2. I'm thinking that for the little difference in price between the 9RVX & the 9 S that I'ill just get two 9RVX units and one 9. Would this be optimal or will I lose features by not getting the 9S? I'll also be have autopilot EV150.

Q3. Will the Axis 9 puck used for the autopilot cause interference with the radar or vise versa if mount close to each other? In this case it's looking like the puck will be above and slightly behind the Raydome.

Q4. The axiom 9 is for the cockpit and its main function would be to mirror one or both of the RVXs at the helm. Will that work and is the Axiom 9 the most practical Raymarine display for this purpose?

FYI my approach to this project is, do it once, do it right. Last thing I want to find out is that I should or a little more. Thank you Chuck
11-13-19, 11:00 AM
lukerabun,

Q1. So from what I have learned I'm thinking a B175 HW, a B175M, and a RV100 will be the most effective for the kind of fishing I do. Based on your knowledge and experience is there something I might be overlooking?
A1. Assuming that the boat is powered by I/O or outboard propulsion, then this transducer selection would indeed appear to be appropriate.

Q2a. I'm thinking that for the little difference in price between the 9RVX & the 9 S that I'ill just get two 9RVX units and one 9. Would this be optimal or will I lose features by not getting the 9S?
A2a. Should a RVX1000 RealVision Sonar Module be installed, then there would be no advantage in having a MFD with internal RealVision circuitry within the system, other than possibly as a means of redundancy. Should a failure of the RVX1000 ever occur, then the transducers may instead be interfaced to the Axiom Pro RVX MFD(s). Similarly, should the system not feature a RVX1000 RealVision, then installation of two Axiom Pro MFDs RVX MFDs would provide a similar level of redundancy. Should a failure of the internal sonar circuitry of one of the Axiom Por MFDs ever occur, then the transducers may instead be interfaced to the other Axiom Pro RVX MFD.

Q3. Will the Axis 9 puck used for the autopilot cause interference with the radar or vise versa if mount close to each other? In this case it's looking like the puck will be above and slightly behind the Raydome.
A3. As radar transducers feature an electric motor, magnetic north seeking devices such as an EV-1 CCU should not be installed within 3' of radar transducers.

Q4. The axiom 9 is for the cockpit and its main function would be to mirror one or both of the RVXs at the helm. Will that work and is the Axiom 9 the most practical Raymarine display for this purpose?
A4. Yes and yes.