Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E97 GPS very slow to get fix
10-20-19, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-19 12:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E97 GPS very slow to get fix
HI,

Im in Australia and have an E97 fitted. I am finding the GPS very slow to get a fix, particularly at home. It's only under carport with a tin roof, no sides. The Garmin next to it gets a fix nearly instantly. I also experience laggy GPS at sea as it can be hard to get the boat right on a waypoint.

I have updated software to latest. Done a full restore. Adjusted COG/SOG filter to low.

When i have a look in skyview it is only bringing one satellite up and it comes and goes. I did finally get a fix from it last night after 1/2 hour. But today waited 1/2 hour and nothing.

The unit is flush fitted into a fibreglass dash but cant see that causing the issue?

Can you use an external GPS antenna with these? If so how do they connect - NMEA network? Or maybe my internal GPS is on the way and not worth it?

THanks
Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-19, 01:04 PM
RE: [CA11] E97 GPS very slow to get fix
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Richard,

Please excuse this late response, as I has initially thought is best that a member of our AU staff address it. However, this is a fairly basic problem to troubleshoot. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when an external GPS sensor may be required. Should the MFD be installed in a location affording an unobstructed view of the skies overhead and fail to rapidly (< 3 minutes) acquire a GPS position FIX, have poor HDOP (accuracy), or lose FIX, then the MFD's internal GPS Sensor may be failing. Should the MFD's internal GPS sensor be failing or should its installation location not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may be interfaced to an external GPS sensor supporting SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, etc.) or NMEA 0183 communications. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor may be interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.
10-30-19, 03:51 AM
Thank you for the reply and info Chuck.

I will endeavor to remove the unit from the dash to see how it goes then.

Cheers
10-30-19, 08:43 AM
You're welcome.