Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Volvo Penta DPI drive & autopilot
01-03-20, 01:10 AM
RE: Volvo Penta DPI drive & autopilot
(01-02-20 12:16 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Kimbrey,

Volvo are understandably keen on discouraging people from using any electronics other than their own, but our EV2 drive-by-wire autopilot can steer a wide range of IPS and Aquamatic drive-by-wire sterndrive systems. Single-sterndrive systems are supported, with Volvo EVC revisions C and later including current EVC-2.

You need a 'gateway' to translate between the Raymarine system and the Volvo system: this can be Raymarine's ECI-100 or dual Volvo gateways, one for pilot control and one for engine data (the ECI-100 performs both functions.) The Raymarine system will function the same whether you use 1x ECI-100 or 2x Volvo gateways, but:
  • Volvo do not test and approve the ECI-100, so you may prefer to use the Volvo equivalents.
  • You should not mix Volvo and Raymarine gateways in the same system: choose either/or.
  • If you go the Volvo gateways, you need both for full functionality.
  • The ECI-100 does not pass any data (except pilot steering commands) back to the EVC system, so you may need a GPS on the Volvo side for fuel calculations on their engine displays or, again, use Volvo gateways.

There are also a few things to be aware of in a system such as this:
  • You should still have a 4" or 7" Volvo display at the helm for proprietary (e.g. transmission) alarms which are not translated across to the Raymarine system
  • In a system with a Volvo joystick, Joystick Driving will not function, as this is a Volvo pilot function. Joystick Docking will work.
  • The pilot controls on the joystick and Volvo display will not operate as these are dedicated to the Volvo pilot.
  • Volvo functions including Dynamic Positioning, Water Sport Control, alarms, control and the onboard Maintenance Assistant will work through a Volvo 7" display

On http://www.raymarine.eu/view/index-id=8883.html you can see how the pilot connects to the Volvo network via an ECI-100, or in the [url=https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/m91tjmlomvfbn69trxkxep546hlakkr4/folder/1803919143EV-2 pilot handbook[/url] you can see how to connect via the Volvo pilot gateway (the connections are different depending on which gateway you use.)

I've not been on a sterndrive-powered Volvo/EV2 vessel, but I have sea-trialled IPS/EV2 systems and the course-keeping is beautiful.

Regards,
Tom
Thanks Tom,
A lot to digest here....this is great info. Just sent the payment a couple days before Christmas to start the build so they haven't started laying glass in the mold for the hull yet, I have some time to think on it. We'll go with a single Volvo D6-340 with a DPI drive but haven't yet placed an order for the engine package because of me wanting Raymarine over Garmin.
Thanks,
Kim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Volvo Penta DPI drive & autopilot - Kimbrey - 01-03-20 01:10 AM