Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1
12-19-19, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 12:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum zigzag930,

Q1) Does the Axiom (9") provide the functions of a stand alone control head? If so, I would think that a control head is NOT necessary.
A1) Unless one desires to use the autopilot's fishing patterns or power steering mode features, no autopilot control head is required. Power steering mode requires that a p70RS or p70R autopilot control head be interfaced to the system. Fishing patterns may be used with either a p70S, p70RS, p70, or p70R autopilot control head.

Q2) I do have Radar on the boat, which does not need a heading sensor. So naturally, I'm hoping that I can install the autopilot without a EV-1 and get the COG, etc information from the Axiom.
A2) Raymarine autopilots have been and continue to be designed to steer to steer based upon heading, not COG, data. Raymarine's Evolution autopilots require an EV-1 or EV-2 CCU to be interfaced to the system. These devices function not only as the system's heading sensing device, but also as the system's course computer.

Q3. If both of the answer to these questions is: Not needed, then I could effectively create an autopilot system with just a ACU-100 and hydraulic pump (plus some hydraulic hoses for the Verado).
A3. This would constitute and incomplete autopilot system. An ACU-100 is also not used in Verado applications. Like other hydraulically steered vessel's the ACU is determined by model of hydraulic pump which must be installed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-19-19 12:13 PM