Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat
01-28-20, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-20 04:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat
Trevor,

Q1. First step into tying in the ST50+ Tridata instrument to the wind instrument seems quite straight forward without a large outlaying of money. My only question in why the use of the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block? Would the same result not be accomplished by just installing the supplied cable from the converter directly into the ST50+ to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter?
A1. Whenever possible, interfacing recommendations which do not involve splicing cables are recommended. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit features the press-fit, flat 3-pin plug that was introduced with the ST40/ST60 instruments. In contrast, the ST50/ST50+ instruments were designed to support SeaTalk cables featuring a round SeaTalk (F) plug. Raymarine had offered the D188 0.3m SeaTalk Flat to SeaTalk Round (F) Cable to permit ST50+ instruments to be interfaced to products featuring SeaTalk Flat sockets. The D244 SeaTalk Junction Block would be used to join the two cables. Should the D244 be packed with dielectric paste, this may provide better long term reliability. Alternatively, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable may be spliced to the D188 0.3m SeaTalk Flat to SeaTalk Round (F) Cable by simply matching the leads within each cable. Marine grade electrical heat activated adhesive lined shrink tubing should be used in conjunction with any such splices. In the end, the choice is yours.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-28-20 04:18 PM