The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] upgrading C120 to Element S
02-17-20, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-20 04:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] upgrading C120 to Element S
I currently have a 2009 C120 that is running slowly. I have a collection of Navionics CF cards for North America and Europe. I have reinstalled the system software several times, I have deleted certain files from the updated cards when updating per instructions from Navionics when the new Navionics updates were causing the C120 to freeze for up to a minute. Deleting the specified files helped a bit, but the C120 is running slowly and sometimes half the screen is blank.

I am considering a 12" Element or Axiom, but the Axiom seems to have a lot of bells and whistles that I don't need. I just need a MFD that shows position, routes, tracks and allows me to overlay radar and AIS data.

I had to buy a Raymarine SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng Converter when I needed to replace the GPS antenna in 2019.

Can I install an Element series MFD in place of the C120?

All my electronic instruments are ST60, 2008 radar (RD424 radome) and a Raymarine AIS transponder. B45 sonar transducer.

I am very happy with my Raymarine suite and all of it is in satisfactory working condition just the C120 seems tired.

I visited the Raymarine stand at the Düsseldorf Boot show and was told that my ST60+ instruments would work since I had the Raymarine SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng Converter, but not the RD424 radar.

- a list of the features/capabilities that you are seeking to add
*I don't need any new features and I don't really like touch screens

- type of usage (serious fishing, cruising, offshore sailing, bay sailing, racing, etc.)
*cruising the North Atlantic and Europe

- type vessel (displacement powerboat, planing powerboat, sailboat, etc.)
*1973 Pearson 36-1 sloop

- any physical constraints (ex. size of the display, desire for in-hull transducer, etc.)
*just want to replace the C120 in the same place on the chart table

- type of steering (cable, hydraulic, chain & sprocket, cable assisted hydraulic, fly by wire, tiller, etc.) ... a consideration for autopilots
*Edson chain and cable
- vessel length ... a consideration for depth transducers and autopilots
*36 feet
- vessel displacement ... a consideration for autopilots
*15000 lbs

- type of propulsion ... a consideration for depth transducers and autopilots
*diesel Yanmar 3GM30F

- hull material ... a consideration for in-hull depth transducers and autopilots
*fiberglass

Thank you for your time.

George DuBose
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] upgrading C120 to Element S - George DuBose - 02-17-20 03:19 AM