The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Cable chasing tips
02-28-20, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Cable chasing tips
I’m sure many people would agree that chasing/pulling new system cables on older boats is often difficult and very time consuming . Couple of tips I’ve found by trial and error :-

When chasing older cable there is lots of friction, so release or remove as many cable ties / p clamps etc as possible

After trying various lubes I discovered there was a proper cable pulling lube which is very slippy when pulling initially and then leaves a very thin film on cable for any later adjustment or additions.

I used a thin mousing line pulled through by the old cable I was removing ( always remove redundant cables ) and tied cables with several rolling hitches covered in tape.

I found that often the cable end snagged on parts of trunking or bends , so I modified the end of a BIC biro or similar ( or any other similar conical item ) with a [censored] in the end through which the mouse line can be threaded.

I later found a commercial cable pulling “sock” which is like a Chinese finger lock puzzle that grips cables and has an end eye for pulling , ivdd Ed yet to try this but looks promising

In addition to using mousing line, I also bought and used glass fibre rod kit and a wire system with end fittings where no cables were being removed . while the rods were good on straight(ish) runs the wire was better on bends .

Hope these are useful, add any other tips you have as I’m sure many people struggle with cable chasing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Cable chasing tips - Splashman237 - 02-28-20 02:48 AM