Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum 2 Radar/AxiomPro/Older SG3 Raymarine Autopilo
03-06-20, 03:40 PM
RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 Radar/AxiomPro/Older SG3 Raymarine Autopilo
Brian,

Q1. Does the ST6002 plug directly in to the ACU or must it be connected to the backbone?
A1. I'm a bit confused about your reference to an ACU. The ST6002 should be connected directly to one of the S3G's SeaTalk ports via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable.

Q2. Is is better advised to substitute the AR200 for the S3Gs heading? (thus replacing the RS150 I currently have for my passive GPS antenna in this schematic)
A2. Yes. I would expect that the AR200 should provide superior performance with respect to heading data and would eliminate the need for a NMEA 0183 multiplexer.

Q3. I've tried to balance the LEN requirements as well for this system. Please advise if you see an error.
A3. There are several errors within the diagram provided:

- General comments:

------ when redrawing the diagram, consider using single lines rather than pipes drawn. Alternatively consider using colors to indicate the different types of cable (spur, backbone, etc.).

----- 5-Way connectors support connecting no more than three devices to the backbone. The backbone sockets of these connectors are designed accept a Backbone Cable, which in turn may be connected to another 5-Way Connector, T-Piece, iTC-5, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

----- T-pieces may not be installed within a spur ... they are a backbone component.

Corrections:

- Given my response to Q2, it is recommended that the diagram redrawn to remove the NMEA 0183 multiplexer, remove the NMEA 0183 output line from the S3G, and connect the NMEA 0183 output from the VHF radio to the NMEA 0183 input of the NGW-1.

- A T-Piece with a SeaTalkng Termination Plug should be located where the NGW-1 connects to the backbone.

- the NGW-1 should be connected to the aforementioned T-Piece.

- Add NMEA 0183 output line from the NGW-1 to the S3G's NMEA 0183 IN1 port.

- The iTC-5 does not support NMEA 0183 communications. It must be installed as a backbone component (i.e. connected to other SeaTalkng networking components via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable) and spur (white) socket which may be used to interface a device or to power the backbone. Accordingly, NMEA 0183 lines within the diagram leading to this device should be removed from the diagram.

- Given my response to Q2, the reference to the RS150 should be removed.

Q4. My EPIRB (ACR GlobalFix iPro) requires 4800 baud 0183 data for GPS position (via optical cable!!?!). I presume that can come from the multiplexer?
A4. Negative. Per my initial response, I had recommended that the NMEA 0183 output of the NGW-1 be split/paralleled to supply data to the NMEA 0183 input port of the S3G, VHF radio, and now, the EPIRP as well.

Q5. Do you have a recommendation for a good multiplexer? (e.g. YachtDevices, etc)
A5. A multiplexer is not required, if heeding the recommendations of Q2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 Radar/AxiomPro/Older SG3 Raymarine Autopilo - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-06-20 03:40 PM