The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Autopilot looses course after about 5 minutes
03-05-20, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-20 11:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Autopilot looses course after about 5 minutes
Hi forum,

The boat is a new to me 50' Schooner (monohull) with a "SmartPilot S3G-A5T" course computer and a "Smart Pilot S7001" display head. The display head had a burnt out screen and non-working buttons so I replaced it with a second hand ST70 autopilot display (that came off a catamaran). Steering is hydraulic and the autopilot drive is a Type 3 hydraulic pump M81124.

When in "auto" mode, the autopilot steers the boat but slowly/gradually seems to loose course until "off course" message is displayed and alarm starts beeping. If I press +1 or -1 the autopilot steers the new course until it runs off course again. It might hold course for 5 minutes or less, sometimes 10' or more.

I tried to run the commissioning process via the ST70 but after the "Initial Setup" the device exits the process and returns to Standby. It does not let me continue with the "Dockside" and "Sea Trial" calibration process. The "ST70 Autopilot Controller SmartPilot X Commissioning Instructions" (Document reference: 81287-1 Date: March 2008) state that the calibration process (if you wish to repeat it) can be accessed through the Advanced Options menu/ Setup wizard. However I find no such option anywhere.

So questions are:
1. Can the calibration process be accessed using the ST70? If so, how? IS there a way to reset all parameters and start anew?
2. Is it reasonable to believe that running the calibration might resolve the problem?
3. Does the "vessel type" and "drive type" information reside on the course computer or the display/control head? Because if on the display then I would have the incorrect settings from the catamaran the display came off of, correct?

Many thanks for anyone that can shed some light or point me in the right direction!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[TG11] Autopilot looses course after about 5 minutes - Bambooboat - 03-05-20 08:52 PM