The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic
03-11-20, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-20 02:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic
I've read some threads about this subject but still can't figure out how to properly connect my AIS700 to my E80 Classic. The current setup is an E80, VHF, Smartpilot and 4 ST60+ instruments. One of the ST60+ instruments is connected to a SeatalkNG Backbone.

The AIS700 is connected to this SeatalkNG backbone. On my navigation PC I receive all NMEA data (depth, wind, speed, rudder etc.) including the AIS data, so far all good. But the AIS data is not visible on the E80 in the cockpit (already changed the baudrate on the E80 to 38400).

Q1: I assume that the setup will not work with the reason that Seatalk1 data is converted to SeatalkNG but that the data on the SeatalkNG is not converted to Seatalk1 and therefore not picked up by the E80. Is this assumption correct?

If my assumption in Q1 is correct and therefore the setup will not work, I assume I then need to connect the AIS700 directly to the 0183 port of the MFD. I think the E80 is connected to the S3 SmartPilot (I THINK because the E80 can communicate with the autopilot and be controlled by the E80) but I'm not sure how it's done. I've attached an image with the current wiring on the S3. I assume One Seatalk input is used by the St60+ autopilot controller, I assume the other one is a Seatalk output. But both 0183 are empty which makes me doubt if the 0183 from the MFD is connected to the AP.

Q2: Based on the image, is the 0183 on the E80 connected to the AP?

Q3: If no, can I connect the AIS700 somehow to the AP to communicate with the E80 since data is exchanged between the 2 already?

Q4: If yes, which wires should I take since none of the colors match with the thread I found here http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=34

Q5: If Q4 is a NO as well, where could the 0183 output on the E80 lead to (except the SeatalkNG no additions have been made and all should be factory standard installed)? I've tried to follow the connected cable but wasn't able to find where it leads to.

Hope someone can clear some things up for me. Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic - Jacob - 03-11-20 02:54 PM