The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV150 does not detect smart stick
04-10-20, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-20 11:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV150 does not detect smart stick
I purchased the EV-150 in January and finished the installation last week. My system was initially composed of ACU-150, EV1, P70rs, a Type I pump, Seatalk NG to NMEA 2000 Converter, a Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV, and a Seatalk NG to legacy Seatalk converter so I can add a remote later. The Garmin head unit provides SOG and takes heading information from the EV1 to show boat direction. Upon sea trial, I found I had severe hunting. The hydraulic lines are air free, the P70rs shows SOG that matches SOG on the Garmin, and no level of rudder damping corrects the hunting issue. I found a thread titled 'Autopilot hunts terribly' and verified that my ACU-150 is on V3.11. I went to the support area and found there has been a version 3.12 released this month that corrects poor steering without a rudder reference. In the release notes it states the update is not needed if you have a rudder reference.

Since I do not own a Raymarine Chartplotter that's needed for the software update, I chose to correct my steering issue by adding a rudder reference. I purchased the SmartStick AR4052RM, turned off calibration lock, and performed a factory reset.

The SmartStick has three wires that I wired as follows:
Red on the Smartstick to Red on the ACU
Black on the SmartStick to Green on the ACU
White on the SmartStick to Blue on the ACU

My issue is the smartstick is not detected by the system. Is this the correct wiring?

I plan to test the SmartStick as follows:
1) Verify +5v DC from the red port on the ACU. If no current, assume issue with ACU?
2) Verify White wire from the smartstick is between 2.2v and 2.8v. If voltage is being applied to red wire and white wire is not in that range assume issue with SmartStick?

Is this what you would recommend to troubleshoot? Is there a way to manually add the rudder reference rather than relying on it being detected?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] EV150 does not detect smart stick - Dgfidler - 04-10-20 09:55 AM