The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C80 Classic v5.16 firmware hang and boot loop with Navionics freshest data update
09-26-16, 02:10 PM
C80 Classic v5.16 firmware hang and boot loop with Navionics freshest data update
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to report this, but I thought I would try here.

I have a C80 (Classic) MFD using firmware 5.16 (which should be the latest available as of today).

After updating my CF card using the Navionics 'Freshest Data' and then trying the card in my C80, the MFD will hang.

The symptoms are that when the first notice screen is displayed, when the C80 is normally asking you to confirm with the OK button, you can't read the text as only a white blank window is showing. Button presses do nothing, the C80 is unresponsive, but will beep with some key presses.

If you wait long enough the C80 may reboot itself.

This boot loop continues forever.

I also tried to do a factory reset and this does not solve the problem.

I also tested my card on a friends C120 that also had firmware 5.16, it had the same problem. Yet my friend's C120 card (which was updated this just 3 or 4 months ago) worked perfectly in my C80.

My CF card is a 2GB Navionics card, where my friends was a 16 GB Navionics card.

Contacting Navionics about this, they had me send my CF card to them for analysis of the issue. I believe that they originally thought I had a bad CF card, even though I was able to update the card and also read it in two different USB CF card readers.

Their root cause analysis showed that after updating the card, the .BP2 files placed onto the card by their update were causing the C80 to hang. A work around is to manually delete all *.BP2 files from the card. Somehow the *.BP2 files are not compatible with the 5.16 firmware on the C80 Classic. They claimed that the .BP2 files contain information such as phone numbers and other information about marinas, etc. which is not used by the C80 Classic MFDs.

If you have this issue, as a work around to this issue, after performing a 'Freshest Data' update, delete all files that end in .BP2 from the card chip before trying to use it in your Classic MFD.

I hope this information helps you.

I'd like to know if it is possible that Raymarine could investigate this issue and possibly issue a new firmware to solve it, or work with Navionics to find some other method to resolve this issue?

I'm sure there still are a lot of us out there that have older boats with reliable Raymarine C70, C80 and C120 (classic) MFDs on board that would like to maintain compatibility with the Navionics freshest data updates.

I asked Navionics to see if they could change their web based "Freshest Data" updater to not install the .BP2 files on the Raymarine Classic MFDs if those files were not compatible with the Classic MFDs, but I'm not sure if they will consider this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
C80 Classic v5.16 firmware hang and boot loop with Navionics freshest data update - imrich - 09-26-16 02:10 PM