The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing the right radar
02-03-17, 01:34 PM
Star Choosing the right radar
Hi Chuck!

Thanks again for taking all of our questions and the amazing forum. I read all 7 pages on radar but haven't found a good answer for this one.

I'm trying to choose the right radar for coastal cruising on the Great Lakes, no fishing, just traffic and terrain (pier) avoidance.

I narrowed it down from Open Array (cost) and Digital (not enough features) to the HD Color RD418HD vs the RD424HD. I like the dual range, dual speed, chart overlay and digital features.

Based on those two, and the beam width, I can't see (mathematically) where the difference in beam width of 4.9º and 3.9º will be discernible at 3mi or less with 48rpm rotation?

What's your opinion for coastal cruising at 4 to 18kts (mostly around 8kts) with radar range mostly set at less than 5mi and a lot of the time 3mi or less (in fog, rain, night etc) just used for traffic and terrain avoidance?

I really like the size of the RD418HD, but if the RD424HD is WAY better at those ranges, I'd do that.

LB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Choosing the right radar - LimaBavo - 02-03-17 01:34 PM
RE: Choosing the right radar - LimaBavo - 02-03-17, 03:27 PM
RE: Choosing the right radar - LimaBavo - 02-03-17, 03:32 PM
RE: Choosing the right radar - LimaBavo - 02-03-17, 05:38 PM