The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue
05-22-17, 01:20 PM
VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue
I've got a (4 year old) Ray 55 that can transmit fine but does not receive signals. I've verified the transmit using a handheld and can communicate with other boats and bridges just fine. The problem is in the receiver. There is static when I open the squelch, and unless the transmitting station is very close to my boat, I don't hear anything. If an adjacent boat transmits, I can BEARLY hear the transmission in the static with the squelch open. It won't break the squelch if it's set to just above full quiet. I also cannot receive any weather stations. My portable marine radio can pick them up just fine while next to the Ray 55. I've put a new extention antenna on the Ray55, replaced the PL259 and verified all the connections are good and the voltage is WNL. Problem started last season.

I've seen a number of posts on the web that seem to indicate this becoming a common failure for this radio. Sounds like an issue with one of the crystals in the receiver. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how was the problem corrected?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue - saustop - 05-22-17 01:20 PM
RE: VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue - saustop - 05-22-17, 01:31 PM
RE: VHF Ray 55 Receiver issue - saustop - 06-05-17, 09:11 AM