Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] GPS coordinates save incorrectly
10-05-18, 01:23 AM
RE: [TG11] GPS coordinates save incorrectly
Each of the channels will give slightly different performance, and there's a difference between the range that you can pick up some form of echo from the bottom (the maximum specified depth on our website) and the depth of water that the sounder will give good fishing echoes in. I usually recommend taking the maximum specified depths and then halving them for actual fishing ranges.

The specified maximum ranges from our website are:
CHIRP Sonar = 274m (900 feet) | DownVisionâ„¢ = 183m (600 feet)
SideVisionâ„¢ = 91m (300 feet) | RealVisionâ„¢ 3D = 91m (300 feet)
so as I say, I usually reckon on people fishing in about half those depths and getting good results.

The maximum depths depend heavily on speed, water quality, bottom surface and sea-state. As far as a sounder is concerned, it's signal-to-noise ratio that matters, so the engine, hull and electrical (charging and ignition systems) noise will all degrade performance even if the bottom echo is strong.

Short answer: with a bit of speed up, losing bottom at 160m on the RV transducer doesn't sound unreasonable, but post some clear photos back if you're concerned so that we can see what you're seeing. There are lots of high-performance options if you're looking for deeper-water performance.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] GPS coordinates save incorrectly - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-05-18 01:23 AM