The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-100 on a powerboat?
10-29-18, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-18 09:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-100 on a powerboat?
Hello everyone,

I've got myself in a bit of a jam, and I'm hoping someone can tell me all is not lost.

As a background, I'm relatively new to boat ownership (2 years), and I have 0 experience with autopilots. I had purchased a 32' Trojan for fishing on Lake Michigan. I now have a 34' Sea Ray.

Last year, I spent some time doing research on autopilots to try to find something that would work on my boat. I was looking for something that would just be able to hold a steady course, which would allow me to step away from the helm for a minute to help my buddy with rigging or maybe even reel a fish in. I'm not necessarily looking for something that can follow a pre-programmed course or anything (although that would be nice). Some have suggested that tying down the helm wheel would perform the same function, but in my experience I've had to be at the helm constantly to maintain a course. I had seen another old boat with some type of wheel autopilot, so I figured the EV-100 Wheel might work. Although I knew the EV-100 Wheel was designed for sailboats, I didn't see why this might not work for a power boat. Something I read at the time must have made me think it would, so I ordered one.

Well, the Trojan ended up laid up for upgrades all last year. It was a fixer-upper to begin with, and we were frustrated at the lost fishing season, so we decided to sell it and buy something else. Now I'm finally looking at installing the autopilot on the Sea Ray, and I don't know what it was that convinced me the EV-100 was a good idea. It looks like, physically, it will fit on the helm wheel. The steering is hydraulic, so I don't think it will be too hard for the motor to turn it. But the installation instructions say it's designed for a wheel with 1-3.5 turns from lock to lock (mine's a bit more than that). I'd also have to cut a [censored] in the dash for the motor, I think.

So, all that being said... Am I just boned here with this autopilot? Or, even though this isn't the application for which it was designed, would it work for the limited purpose I'm looking for?

I appreciate any helpful input (don't just call me a dumbass, that's not helpful)!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] EV-100 on a powerboat? - aequitas1916 - 10-29-18 08:16 PM