The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] DST800 power off depth
12-29-18, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-19 12:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] DST800 power off depth
I have a question about the Triducer DST800 and its behavior, at depths below the range. According to the specification, the measurement range is approximately 100m for power from the N2k network.

My question is, what does the DST800 do at a depth of more than 100m, except the display shows three lines informing about exceeding the range.

The question arises from two reasons, one, if the transducer still tries bottom it still drain electricity (LEN4) around 200mA, as if not much, but in the long ocean trips, each Amper counts. Secondly, if the measurement of depth does not make sense, there is no sense in generating unnecessary ultrasonic noise in the water, which, as we know for some mammals does not have to be a pleasure.

The simplest method that seems to be, is inserting a power switch in the power line of the tranceduser spur. In this way, the rest of the STng works fine, only the DST800 is cut off. Unfortunately, it has the disadvantage that we also lose the temperature of the water as well as the speed on the water, means can not calculate the true wind. So maybe the solution, is to use the DST800 version Nmea0183, in which case the what wire is responsible for disconnecting power of the depth function, and whether it will turn off the sonar, and whether only receive measurement and the sonar will continue to work. From my experience, it appears that in both cases, I will have to cut off all the power, to be sure that Depth does not draw current and does not generate a signal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The second solution, I believe is drilling another [censored] in the hull, and installing a separate Depth and speed / temp txdr.

Or there is a function in the lighthouse that I can not find that allows Depth to be turned off when it is unnecessary.

Please let me know what you think about it.

Thanks for answering and happy new year :)
Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] DST800 power off depth - MarcinZ - 12-29-18 10:25 AM