Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30
01-15-19, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-19 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30
dapagani,

Q1. Your comment that I don't heed the st ng converter anymore or simply the power cable only?
A1. It was my intention to specify that unless continued SeaTalk to SeaTalk data bridging is required (ex. continued use of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor), then it would be unnecessary (but possible) to continue using a ST-STng Converter within the system. Other alternative networking components would include using a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or a pair of SeaTalkng T-Pieces which have been joined with an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Q2. Should I connect the ST cable directly from CCU to ST 70 CH, turn on power switch on CCU, leave second port of ST 70 open, remove all ST ng back bone?
A2. Negative. As indicated by within the FAQ found here, devices having a CAN bus interface (SeaTalkng, NMEA 2000) are designed to each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q3. FYI, I do have open port on ST ng converter without terminator on it, would this cause the converter to show open, thus no comm to CCU?
A3. As indicated within my initial response, proper termination of the backbone requires that a SeaTalkng Termination Plug (blue) should be inserted into each of the backbone's (SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's) two blue backbone sockets. Failure to install both SeaTalkng Termination Plugs (blue) may indeed result in a communications failure. While it would be recommended that a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug (black) be inserted within the unused SeaTalk (yellow) socket to prevent damage / corrosion of the socket's pins, failure to install a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug within the ST-STng Converter's SeaTalk (yellow) socket would not cause the reported failure.

Should the problem persist when interfaced in the manner which I have specified, then it would be recommended that the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs be tested to verify 120 Ohms resistance is found across the CAN_H and CAN_L pins of the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs. If this resistance is verified, then it would be recommended that the autopilot course computer and control head be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30 - dapagani - 01-14-19, 10:14 AM
RE: [CA11] ST70/Smart Pilot x30 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-15-19 01:33 PM