The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] st5000+ problems after re-commissioning
02-26-19, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] st5000+ problems after re-commissioning
I've searched the forum, but still in need of ideas. I have an st5000+ with a Type 1 pump, and linear rudder position indicator integrated with a Hynautic 3-line hydraulic system. It has always worked just fine. Earlier this winter, I tore apart my aft bilge below decks (29' Blackfin FB sportfisher) to replace gas tanks, battery shelves, rudder arm tie bar, propeller shafts, props, etc. During this effort, I removed the steering ram (Sea Star, Model BA125-9HYK19) as well as the Linear Rudder Reference Transducer (Raymarine M81188) to gain better access to stuff. After 90 days or so of being disconnected, I re-installed the ram and the rudder reference transducer and bled the steering system via the Hynautic helm pump and its relief valves.

In the past, I have performed the "Compass Swing" automatic deviation correction procedure (20 degrees) and the Heading Alignment, both with quick and predictable success. When I re-launched, the AP wasn't working. While underway, I push the +10 or -10 buttons, the rudders move in the correct direction, but never return to center in order to stop the turn... the boat just keeps on turning. Additionally, the Autohelm compass reading seems to have little relationship to my magnetic compass (even after Heading Alignment). Also, when in Auto mode, turning the wheel now turns the boat, whereas when the unit was working properly, turning the wheel had no effect while the AP was in Auto. I tried repeating the Automatic Deviation Correction procedure, but no matter how many circles I turn (fast, slow, wide, narrow), I never get a result. I can Align Heading, but once I do, and I turn... say... 180 degrees, the Autohelm compass readout has only changed by... maybe... 40 or 50 degrees.

I've tested the fluxgate compass leads as described elsewhere on this forum with passing results. I've checked and re-checked all wiring and connections. While I bled the Hynautic pump with the wheel (and feel no air in the lines) I don't think I did - and don't know if I need to -- bleed the Raymarine Type 1 pump using the AP head unit. Regardless, doesn't seem like my problems are related to air in line anyway. I did read somewhere hear that mechanical elements in the fluxgate compass can fail and produce results similar to some of mine. Does anybody here have any advice or troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] st5000+ problems after re-commissioning - Tizor - 02-26-19 08:44 PM