Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Revising system network
03-25-19, 09:08 AM
RE: [CA11] Revising system network
Mark,

General comments on diagram,

1) It is not recommended that the power leads of a spur cable be tapped as shown to power the RS125. Instead, it is recommended that the circuit to which is powering the SeaTalkng Power Cable also be used to power the RS125.

Q1) Is NMEA 0183 a balanced signal and therefore the negative wire should be floating and not connected to ground or the shield? I don't want to create ground loops. Also, I expect the shield should only be connected to ground at the source end. For example, the 125 GPS GRN and BWN should or should not be connected to the shield which goes to DC ground only at the GPS end. Same with the NMEA to the 300 Course Computer--ground the shield only at the C95.
A1) In most cases, Raymarine products utilize differential RS422 communications. The RS125 GPS Sensor will be an exception.

Q2) Should I turn off the C95 internal GPS receiver since I'm using the 125 GPS or will the MFD figure this out?
A2) The MFD's Data Sources feature may be used to configure which source of GPS data will be utilized by the system.

Q3) I have 5 C/Bs feeding the system: VHF/AIS, Instruments (powers 125 GPS, SEATALKng and SEATALK #2), Autopilot (also powers SEATALK #1), Chartplotter and Radar. I think this is what you recommended.
A3) SeaTalk #2 should be powered from the STng backbone via the ST-STng Converter. Otherwise, this appears to be a good plan for your marine electronics system.

Q4) Your item 7 above refers to an ST40 Wind but I have an i40 Wind. Any problem using this as a repeater on SEATALK #2 since it has a regular SEATALK connector?
Q4) The i40 Wind is simply a ST40 wind with styling changes which match current Raymarine products. It is indeed correct to interface the i40 Wind in the manner shown within your diagram.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Revising system network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-25-19 09:08 AM