The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New Raymarine system & questions . . .
05-13-19, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 01:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New Raymarine system & questions . . .
Chuck,

Last month I purchased a 2000 Beneteau 311 with hardly any electronics, just a 19 year old Raymarine Tridata and ST-60 wind, neither of which works. So, it’s time for new electronics.

I sold my last boat in 1998 and one thing I have learned that is that marine electronics today is a different world than it was in 1998. I have spent the last month trying to catch up.

For the new (to me) Beneteau, I’ve decided to go with a complete Raymarine system (except for the VHF, which has DSC and AIS receive capability) which hopefully will simplify connecting everything and ensuring compatibility of components.

I have purchased the following and am about ready to install, but before I head to the boat later this week I would really appreciate your comments on the attached installation and connection diagram as I’m sure I have missed something.

Here’s the equipment list, plus I have enough Raymarine backbone and spur cables to do the job:

- Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack w P70s Control Head
- Raymarine i50/i60 Depth, Speed & Wind Systems Pack
- Raymarine i70s Instrument Display
- Raymarine ITC-5
- Rarmarine Axiom 7 Chartplotter w Navionics (no transducers)
- Simrad RS35 VHF w DSC and AIS Receiver
- Raymarine STng 5 way backbone connectors -2
- Raymarine STng T backbone T connectors - 2

Here are my questions:

1. The Axiom 7 has a NEMA 2000 male connection feeding out, so to interface it to the STng backbone I think I need the A06045 Micro-C Device Net cable, correct? If not correct, what cable or adapter do I need?

2. Same question for the Simrad RS35, it has a NEMA 2000 male connection, so I think I need the A06045 cable, correct? Again, if not correct, what do I need?

3. I want to power the STng backbone via a separate 12V-DC connection which will connect to the STng backbone via the ITC-5. The STng backbone will be on a separate breaker at the DC panel marked “Instruments”. Is this an acceptable location to connect 12V-DC power to the STng backbone? Would it better to connect power by a separate T connector with balanced LEN on either side? Finally, should I also install an in-line fuse in addition to the breaker panel? If so, what value?

4. Re LEN values, this is a small, short system, so I think I can probably ignore the advice to balance the LEN values on either side of the power connection to the backbone. Is this correct? Or is it good practice to balance the LEN values even in a small system? My longest backbone run will be 5 meters (about 16’ 4”), the other two runs will be 1 meter (about 3’ 3”) each, so total backbone length about 23’.

5. At the DC panel, I will have separate, fused, switchable on/off power connections for the ACU-100 (marked “Autopilot”), the Axion 7 (marked “Chartplotter”), and the Simrad RS35 (marked “VHF”) so I can turn each of them off when anchored to conserve battery life. I understand that the ACU-100 can also power the STng backbone but that the function for that can be turned off in setup, correct? Is there anything else I need to be careful about in terms of protecting the STng backbone from the devices that are separately powered?

6. Can the i50 Depth, the i50 Speed, and the i60 Wind be daisy-chained as I have shown on the diagram?

7. I understand that the i50 Depth, i50 Speed, i60 Wind, I70s MFD and P70s APCH are all powered by the STng backbone and that no separate power connections are required for these instruments, correct?

8. The Simrad RS35 manual says it is capable of displaying AIS and DSC data on NEMA 2000 compatible chartplotters. Is there any reason why the Axion 7 would not be compatible? Both will be NEMA 2000 connected to the backbone.

9. Will the Axion 7 properly display STng network Depth, Speed, and Wind data via it’s NEMA 2000 connection as long as the correct adapter is used? Does the data it displays come from the i70s or via the ITC-5 converter? Do I need to do anything to select the data source?

That’s it. And thanks in advance, not just for your comments on my post but on the work you do every day. Most of what I have learned in the last month about the current state of marine electronics has been from reading your posts and comments on the Raymarine forum. You are providing a really valuable resource to Raymarine users and it is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] New Raymarine system & questions . . . - Martin35 - 05-13-19 06:36 PM