The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GPS Sentences required by ST4000+ ?
08-27-19, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 02:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] GPS Sentences required by ST4000+ ?
This question will likely require some knowledge of the firmware running on the ST4000+ processor.

I am trying to understand which of protocol "sentences" are used, needed, and ignored by the ST4000+ at the NMEA(+/-) inputs which go to the optoisolator level-shifter on processor board.

========================================
The manual states: The following NMEA 0183 wind and navigation data can be decoded by the ST4000 Plus.
Course Over Ground VTG, RMC, RMA
Speed Over Ground VTG, RMC, RMA
Cross Track Error APB, APA, RMB, XTE
Bearing to Waypoint APB, BWR, BWC, RMB
Distance to Waypoint BWR, BWC, RMB
Waypoint Number APB, APA, BWR, BWC, RMB
Apparent Wind Speed VWR, MWV
Apparent Wind Angle VWR, MWV
Speed Through Water VHW
Depth DBT
Water Temperature MTW

The GPS device I have supplies GPRMC, GPVTC, and others not listed as decodable such as GPGGA, GSA, GSV and GLL.

Question#1: Will the ST4000 Plus be able to parse the data for $GPRMC and $GPVTG and ignore (no errors) the others not listed as decodable from my GPS receiver (GPGGA, GSA, GSV and GLL)?

Question#2: If "Course Over Ground VTG, RMC, RMA" is listed with these three formats in the manual, does the ST4000+ need all three or even two? Will it work using RMC and VTG only, which is what my GPS reciever will supply in the NMEA 0183 format running at 4800 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity, no handshake?

I hope I've been clear. Let me know if I can give additional detail.
Thanks -Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] GPS Sentences required by ST4000+ ? - davemi - 08-27-19 06:18 PM