Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot heading display units can't be reset
03-29-16, 02:52 PM
Autopilot heading display units can't be reset
I have a Raymarine ST70. I had a constant disparity between my Ritchie compass and the Autopilot heading displayed of about 25 degrees. I have been able (by removing a metal step and multiple other items around the fluxgate) to narrow this disparity to 16 degrees. My E120W chartplotter and the AP are both set to display Magnetic. Because the variation here (Seattle) is about 16 I decided to check the settings in the AP. It was set to Mag so I reset it to true to see if the disparity would double. After the reset I observed the AP heading and it remained labeled as Magnetic and the numbers had not changed. I rechecked the units in the setting mode and confirmed it was set to true. When I backed out again the display remained as before.
Is this a known failure mode or does it suggest some other error? I am about to undertake a lengthy trip and would appreciate having an operative--and trustworthy-- Autopilot.
The COG on the E120W and handheld binocs with compass reading both agree with the Ritchie numbers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-16, 03:46 PM
RE: Autopilot heading display units can't be reset
What is the course computer in the autopilot system? ST70 is the control head, and it is connected to a course computer.
03-29-16, 09:58 PM
(03-29-16 03:46 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  What is the course computer in the autopilot system? ST70 is the control head, and it is connected to a course computer.
I have a SmartPilot X30 is that it? There is a Seatalk hs also
03-30-16, 01:22 PM
I have enclosed the manual below. I would recommend redoing the compass linearization procedure. Once completed, a deviation will appear, that number should be inside 15 degrees. The procedure will be found on page 13-14 of the manual enclosed.
03-30-16, 01:41 PM
(03-30-16 01:22 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I have enclosed the manual below. I would recommend redoing the compass linearization procedure. Once completed, a deviation will appear, that number should be inside 15 degrees. The procedure will be found on page 13-14 of the manual enclosed.

Thank you
03-30-16, 02:35 PM
Anytime. Let us know the outcome.