Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Integrate GME AIST120 with Ray e7 MFD
11-26-19, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-19 08:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Integrate GME AIST120 with Ray e7 MFD
Hi I have a GME AIST-120, mounted in the pilothouse, which currently outputs to openCPN on my (co-located) laptop via usb. The GME unit also has an has an NMEA2000 output and want to display AIS targets on my e7 MFD which is located ~4m (straight line distance) aft at the external helm. What cables would I use and how would I network these. thanks

Dan McClary
S.V. Camelot
1982 PanOceanic 46
Auckland, New Zealand
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-19, 07:31 PM
RE: [TG11] Integrate GME AIST120 with Ray e7 MFD
Hello po46camelot,

The e7 uses a Raymarine STNG connector for its NMEA2000 whilst the AIS will almost certainly use the more common Micro-C/Devicenet connector type (we feel that STNG connectors are better.) You can either cable this with STNG or Devicenet cabling but either way you will need an adaptor cable. To use STNG cabling you could get an STNG Starter Kit (part T70134) and Devicenet-STNG adaptor cable, part A06075. You would then also want a long-ish STNG spur cable to run to the e7: A06040 is 3m or A06041 is 5m.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
12-05-19, 09:55 PM
Excellent. I will look this weekend at how things are currently networked (e7, ST60+wind, SPX30 A/P, p70 a/p head, Ray55vhf, smartremote) and if have any queries log in again. thanks very much!.. Dan

Dan McClary
S.V. Camelot
1982 PanOceanic 46
Auckland, New Zealand
12-08-19, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-19 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for this. I have looked over the existing connections for the instruments on board. The e7 MFD is networked with an ST60+ wind and p70 autopilot head at the helm station, connected by a spur to the SPX30 autopilot located about 5m forward. The attached diagram shows how these are connected. via a seatalk-stng converter at the helm and a STNG Converter located next to the SPX30. The STNG Converter that the SPX30 is plugged into also had a SmartRemote networked, but this is now non functioning.

Aside from the GME AIS transceiver, we also want to network a Quantum I radome. I know we can run it by wifi to the e7, but I really prefer to have a hard wire connection.

Given this configuration, can you suggest how I connect everything together? I want to do this myself rather than get an installer on board as we are going offshore for an extended period next year and I really need to understand how everything works myself.

Thanks

Dan

Dan McClary
S.V. Camelot
1982 PanOceanic 46
Auckland, New Zealand
12-09-19, 06:06 PM
Thank you. We also want to install a Quantum (I) radar set as well. We know it will communicate via wifi but prefer to have a hardwired connection. I have attached a diagram showing how our equipment is currently networked. Can you advise how things should be connected? I want to learn how to do this myself rather than hiring in an installer (we are going 'off-grid' for an extended period so want to learn as much as I can). thanks!

Dan McClary
S.V. Camelot
1982 PanOceanic 46
Auckland, New Zealand
12-09-19, 09:22 PM
Hello Dan,

Remove the black blanking plug from the second ST1-STNG convertor and connect the AIS there via an A06075 STNG-Devicenet adaptor cable.
You should put that now-spare blanking plug into the spare yellow socket in order to protect against condensation and corrosion there.

Assuming the Raynet network port on the e7 is free (radars cannot connect via STNG/NMEA2000), you simply plug the Quantum in there (and of course provide it with power too.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
12-12-19, 08:18 PM
Thank you this is just what I needed (and apologies for double posting!)

Dan McClary
S.V. Camelot
1982 PanOceanic 46
Auckland, New Zealand