Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[CA] [CA11] Intagration of the ClearCruise System
12-06-19, 08:54 PM
RE: [CA11] Intagration of the ClearCruise System
OK, thanks Chuck..

I checked and verified that on the second seatalk port of the computer, (the wire I added) only the data/yellow wire is connected. Red wire was capped and secure,..

I moved the yellow seatalk cable that comes from the NG converter over to the 8002 head and powered it all back up and it says "no pilot".

At this point I think that this seatalk port is bad..i am guessing both ports should do the same thing...so i reconfigured the displays to all be one the one working seatalk bus and then the NG converter was an option as a heading source on the Axiom...it was actually already selected..everything seems to work now.

Is this ok as a temp config ? I attached a picture of the mod.

I have a spare X30 that I could install in place of this S2G (E12091)

Good idea?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-19, 08:47 AM
Jeff,

Q1. I checked and verified that on the second seatalk port of the computer, (the wire I added) only the data/yellow wire is connected. Red wire was capped and secure,..
A1. Noted.

Q2. I moved the yellow seatalk cable that comes from the NG converter over to the 8002 head and powered it all back up and it says "no pilot". At this point I think that this seatalk port is bad..
A2. This is why I had directed moving the ST8002 within my previous response (i.e. to determine whether the course computer's SeaTalk port was operational) ... no heading or as you identified NO PILOT is an indication a SeaTalk failure of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port.

Q3. i am guessing both ports should do the same thing
A3. Correct

Q4. so i reconfigured the displays to all be one the one working seatalk bus and then the NG converter was an option as a heading source on the Axiom...it was actually already selected..everything seems to work now. Is this ok as a temp config ? I attached a picture of the mod.
A4. Close, but not quite. As configured, the system may suffer a ground loop. This may be correct in one of the following ways:
- connect a terminal strip to the course computer's working SeaTalk port. Then connect the two original SeaTalk busses which I had originally specified to the terminal strip. When connecting the SeaTalk bus including the ST60 instruments to the terminal strip, be certain to not connect the SeaTalk cable's red lead to the terminal strip.
- within your latest diagram, cut the SeaTalk cable connecting the ST60 instruments to the ST8002. Then splice the cable back together, while leaving SeaTalk cable's red leads unspliced.

Q5. I have a spare X30 that I could install in place of this S2G (E12091)
A5. Yes.
12-15-19, 10:19 PM
Chuck,

OK, I removed the S3 (E12091) Computer with the suspect seatalk1 port and installed the spare X30.

I wired both seatalk ports as per the original diagram, where it depicts a dedicated port for only Pilot controls and the other port for the ST60 instruments.

Everything came online and seemed to be happy.

The X30 was reset to factory settings and I completed the dockside setup and plan to do the seatrial/compass swing next week.

The questions I have are as follows-

I still have to do the AR-200 calibration and the compass swing for the pilot...these being two separate procedures, (one for the AR-200 unit and one for the Flux Compass feeding the X30.) Will these 2 procedures interfere with each other? (The AR-200 is temporarily disconnected at the moment. )

Do I do the compass swing first, then connect the AR-200 spur cable and then do its calibration?

Since the X30 has the Ng connection, and the 5 way is co-located, should I connect it?

I will have a free spur port on the 5 way, should I also connect the P70 to it?

Thank you, Jeff
12-16-19, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-19 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jeff,

Q1. OK, I removed the S3 (E12091) Computer with the suspect seatalk1 port and installed the spare X30. I wired both seatalk ports as per the original diagram, where it depicts a dedicated port for only Pilot controls and the other port for the ST60 instruments. Everything came online and seemed to be happy. The X30 was reset to factory settings and I completed the dockside setup and plan to do the seatrial/compass swing next week.
A1. I assume that you are referring to the diagram shown below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3897]

Replacing the S3 with the X30 bring in a new dynamic. Please be aware that as the X30 autopilot course computer and p70 autopilot control head both feature SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 interface. It would instead be recommended, as a best installation practice, that these autopilot components instead be interfaced as spurs to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The instruments, ST8001, and SmartController base station would once again be combined into a single unpowered SeaTalk bus which will not be directly connected to the autopilot course computer. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would then be installed as a backbone component of the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. This aforementioned SeaTalk bus would then be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2. I still have to do the AR-200 calibration and the compass swing for the pilot...these being two separate procedures, (one for the AR-200 unit and one for the Flux Compass feeding the X30.) Will these 2 procedures interfere with each other? (The AR-200 is temporarily disconnected at the moment. )
A2. Possibly. Unlike currently manufactured Raymarine products, legacy products such as the X30 were not designed to support multiple data sources of any single type of data within a system. The system which has been created is not one which has been tested. My initial thoughts would be to disconnect temporarily disconnect the X30 from the SeaTalkng backbone and then attempt to calibrate the AR200 and select it as the system's Heading data source. Next, disconnect the fluxgate compass from the X30, reconnect the X30 to the backbone and attempt to operate the X30 in Auto Mode. Please indicate whether the autopilot then steers to the locked heading.

Q3. Do I do the compass swing first, then connect the AR-200 spur cable and then do its calibration?
A3. See the response to Q2. Should this action work satisfactorily, then it will not be necessary to install the fluxgate compass and perform related calibration.

Q4. Since the X30 has the Ng connection, and the 5 way is co-located, should I connect it?
A4. See the response to Q1.

I will have a free spur port on the 5 way, should I also connect the P70 to it?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-16-19, 10:21 AM
OK, thanks.

Well I guess thats good news...

Is it possible for you to mark-up my schematic with the way you are suggesting to connect the Seatalk and seatalk NG buses?
12-16-19, 10:24 AM
I'll be glad to look / comment on a revised drawing should you submit one.
12-17-19, 10:30 AM
OK, thanks here is the updated schematic showing the X30 Computer installed,

Both Seatalk1 ports are wired as shown, Seatalkng port is ran but stowed at the 5 way. wanted to get your feedback before I made that connection.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Visio-Indigo Star 3.pdf (Size: 25.66 KB / Downloads: 178)
12-17-19, 11:05 AM
Jeff,

If following the recommendations within my previous response, then the following corrections need to be implemented within the diagram:

- The SeaTalk cable connection from the ST60 Tridata to the SPX30's SeaTalk port should be eliminated.

- The p70 should be disconnected from the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block

- The p70 should be connected to a spur socket within the system's SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

- The SeaTalkng port of the SPX30 should be connected to a spur socket within the system's SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

- Finally, care should be taken to ensure that the SPX30 and p70 are both operating with the latest software. When interfaced in the recommended manner, the software of the p70 may be updated by the Data Master Axiom MFD. The p70 may also be used to determine the version of software which is installed within SPX30. While the software of the p70 may be updated via an Axiom MFD, the software of the SPX30 may not. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing alternative options for updating the software within the SPX30.
12-17-19, 11:26 AM
Thanks, here is the updated drawing with your recommendations ..

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Visio-Indigo Star 4.pdf (Size: 25.73 KB / Downloads: 196)
12-17-19, 11:36 AM
Nice job!