Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] RADAR Selection help. HD Color radome vs Quantum 2
12-06-19, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-19 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] RADAR Selection help. HD Color radome vs Quantum 2
Trying to decide which radar to choose between the following two for my 30ft center console in southeast Florida coastal waters w/ occasional trips to bahamas. I am upgrading all 15 yr old raymarine electronics including my old radome and will have the boat in box bundle on the boat to use with this radar; so will be going to the Axiom 12 RV and 9" RV Axiom displays. Besides price I'm trying to decide what is the best fit for this setup for this area and use with the Axioms. Thank you in advance for your helpful input.
Option 1:
18" HD Color 4kw radome
RAYMARINE RD418HD HI-DEF DIGITAL RADAR DOME W/10M CABLE
Raymarine Part Number - T70168
Option 2:
Quantum 2 radome
T70416 Quantum 2 Q24D (Doppler) with 10m power and data cables
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-19, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-19 09:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] RADAR Selection help. HD Color radome vs Quantum 2
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum SE-FL,

Such choices are based upon the features which are most important to the operator. The features which are unique to HD radomes, the radome choice of fishermen) include:
- Bird Mode ... locating flocks of birds is frequently used method of locating bait which in turn is a method of locating larger fish
- 48 RPM ... faster rotation of the array is a valuable feature to fast boats (ex. planing hulls).
- Weather tracking ... magnetron based radar systems such as this are capable of spotting and tracking storm cells and precipitation
- Greater power to see through weather.

The features which are unique to Quantum 2 radomes include:
- Doppler radar (targets moving closer are marked red; targets moving away are colored green)
- low power (a consideration for sailing vessels ... less of a factory for powerboats)
- excellent target definition
- excellent close in target performance.
12-09-19, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the reply and info. I was thinking the same with main interest in the HD digital being the weather monitoring and tracking w/ trails, which I use a lot at work on commercial radars, and the bird mode. Just wanted to make sure wasn't missing something with the Quantum 2. I think I'll go with the 18" 4kw digital hd color.
(just started looking through this forum and seems like a ton of helful information here)
Thanks again!
12-10-19, 09:17 AM
You're welcome. BTW trails are supported in conjunction with any compatible Raymarine radar transducer.
12-15-19, 06:02 PM
Another kind of random question; this radar will be out in the south Florida sun / exposed to the elements 24/7, is it acceptable to wax these radar domes with normal fiberglass hull wax and/or is there a more preferable way to cost them to protect from sun deterioration and break down. Thank you
12-16-19, 10:43 AM
SE-FL,

Q. Is it acceptable to wax these radar domes with normal fiberglass hull wax and/or is there a more preferable way to cost them to protect from sun deterioration and break down.
A. It is indeed acceptable and recommended apply protective agents such as fiberglass wax to radomes and open arrays.