Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Upgrading ST50+ Wind
12-11-19, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-19 05:01 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Upgrading ST50+ Wind
Good evening!

I have an old boat from the late 80ies and some of the original autohelm instruments but the ST50+ Wind is not working properly any more.

The system currently consists of the old Seatalk1 network with a z083 computer, ST7000 autopilot, ST50 tridata, ST50 Multi, and ST50+ Wind; I have added a NMEA2000 network last year and connected the two networks so that I can use a Raymarine a75 MFD.

Can I replace The ST50+ Wind instrument with the new i60 or even the i70 and keep all the transducers as they are?

Many thanks for your support!
Stefan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-19, 05:12 AM
RE: [LW11] Upgrading ST50+ Wind
Dear corvus,

Thank you for the post.

Just to confirm, what are the issues you are experiencing with the wind instrument as the transducer could also be faulty.

Can you give me an idea as to the symptoms you are experiencing?

Many Thanks
Louise
12-12-19, 06:53 PM
(12-12-19 05:12 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear corvus,

Thank you for the post.

Just to confirm, what are the issues you are experiencing with the wind instrument as the transducer could also be faulty.

Can you give me an idea as to the symptoms you are experiencing?

Many Thanks
Louise

Yes the issues are defenitely with the wind instrument. I had it repaired a year ago and was told that the needle had to be recalibrated inside. It is showing about 45 degrees difference to reality; starboard side is a bit worse than port side.

The transducer should be ok as speed is in line with GPS speed when there are no currents.

Best regards
12-13-19, 07:36 AM
Hi Corvus,

The simplest solution is to fit the i60 wind display, this will connect to the current masthead Tx, ( note that if the windvane cups are square instead of hemisperical, then the speed display on the i60 will read 30% too slow - this can be calibrated out to enable a correct windspeed)

You will have some connection issues, the ST50 + range used small round 3 pin plugs to connect to SeaTalk, wheres the i60 uses a round 5 pin socket and so an adapter cable A06047 could be used - cut the flat 3 pin plug off it and join to the seatalk network onboard. You can remove the plug off the end of the masthead transducer cable - crimp on 1/8" spade type connectors and then connect the transducer colour for colour.

Hoe this helps?
Regards
Derek