Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New i50 speed display showing -- for speed
12-15-19, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-19 03:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New i50 speed display showing -- for speed
I recently purchased new i50/i60 instruments. I decided to test each unit prior to de-installing the old instruments and installing the new and plugged each unit, one at a time, into the seatalk ng spur and attaching the transducers. The boat speed instrument showed -- as the speed, even as I spun the paddle wheel. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to spin the paddle wheel for a specified amount of time before the display starts to show speed, or will the instrument show speed immediately?
2. Is there something I need to do to commission the instrument before it can work effectively?
3. Is there a better way to test this unit before I install?

The depth and wind instruments worked fine when I test them. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-19, 03:24 PM
RE: [CA11] New i50 speed display showing -- for speed
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum bwehmer,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how an analog speed transducer may be tested. Should no fault be found with the speed transducer, then it would be recommended that all of the speed transducer's leads be interfaced again to the instrument and that the instrument then be powered on. Should the instrument be operational, and configured as a Speed master rather than a repeater (please see the applicable section of the instrument's owner's guide), and should the transducer's paddlewheel be rapidly rotated for three to five seconds, then the reported speed should transition from dashes to a numerical value. If not, then it may indicate a problem with the i50 instrument, necessitating that it be replaced by the dealer (if purchased within the last 30 days) or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
12-17-19, 11:13 AM
Thanks Chuck! I reconnected the transducer to the instrument and noticed that I was able to slightly wobble a couple of the spade connectors. They were snug on the pin, but I tightened them anyway, and now everything is working fine. Perhaps the voltage is very low on those connections and a tight connection is necessary.

Thank you for your help.
12-17-19, 11:31 AM
You're welcome.