Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] My SmartPilot is fixed! A thanks... and a question. :)
12-16-19, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-19 01:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] My SmartPilot is fixed! A thanks... and a question. :)
Swapped out my S1G for a used S2G from eBay... got out on the water and got it calibrated and it works fantastic. I'd almost argue that it works better than the S1G... which is what brought me here.

Where can I find the differences between the different units? Or, perhaps there's an FAQ or something that missed? I'm interested in the difference between all of them (S1G, S2G, S3G, the X series...)... but I'm mostly interest in the differences between the two units I've had experience with (the S1G and S2G).

It's clear that the S2G is completely different, the case is bigger, etc... but what else?

Can I interface the S2G with my older Garmin 4212 that I have on the boat (I run a dual setup of E120 Classic and a Garminn 4212)...

Any other info would be cool. :)

Thanks,
Pete

P.S. The help that this forum, specifically, Chuck, has been a HUGE benefit. The fact that Raymarine still offers help with these older units while other brands sort of "abandon" them is VERY valuable to me. Many thanks!!

E120 Classic (Master) & E80 Classic (Upper Station) - 10KW 4' Open - DSM300 w/Airmar M260 - S1 AP (Type 1 Pump) w/8002 & 6002 - SeaTalkHG - And... lots and lots of wire and boxes. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-19, 01:31 PM
RE: [CA11] My SmartPilot is fixed! A thanks... and a question. :)
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Q1. Where can I find the differences between the different units? Or, perhaps there's an FAQ or something that missed? I'm interested in the difference between all of them (S1G, S2G, S3G, the X series...)... but I'm mostly interest in the differences between the two units I've had experience with (the S1G and S2G).
A1. For the most part, course computers and actuator control units (ACUs) are differentiated by the maximum amount of power that they can output to an autopilot drive unit. Accordingly, one selects the drive unit which is appropriate for the vessel's steering and power distribution system and then selects a course computer or ACU which is rated for at least the drive unit selected. Please click here to view Raymarine's web page addressing autopilot drive unit selection. Selecting a course computer or ACU with greater maximum power output than is required by the drive unit my result in greater course computer / ACU longevity.

The SPX autopilot course computers replaced the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computers and all SPX autopilot course computers featured gyro stabilization. The X5, X10, and X30 were roughly the equivalent of the S1G, S2G, and S3G respectively. SPX autopilots additionally feature a SeaTalkng communications interface. The S1G was capable of transmitting 5Hz NMEA 0183 stabilized heading data. The S2G/S3G were capable of transmitting 10Hz NMEA 0183 stabilized heading data. The X5 was capable of transmitting 5Hz NMEA 0183 stabilized heading data. The X10/X30 were capable of transmitting 10Hz NMEA 0183 stabilized heading data.

Q2. Can I interface the S2G with my older Garmin 4212 that I have on the boat (I run a dual setup of E120 Classic and a Garminn 4212)...
A2. Quite possibly. To do so, the third party MFD/chartplotter's NMEA 0183 output port would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of the S2G. Should it be desired that the third party MFD/chartplotter receive 10Hz heading data from the autopilot, then the S2G's NMEA 0183 Port 1 output would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of the third party MFD/chartplotter.
12-18-19, 12:11 PM
As usual... thank you!

I am extremely happy with the fact that Raymarine continues to offer this level of support in a public forum (which helps others).

Have a great Holiday and New Year! :) Pete

E120 Classic (Master) & E80 Classic (Upper Station) - 10KW 4' Open - DSM300 w/Airmar M260 - S1 AP (Type 1 Pump) w/8002 & 6002 - SeaTalkHG - And... lots and lots of wire and boxes. :-)
12-18-19, 02:06 PM
You're welcome.