Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Networking upgrade to Axiom 9
12-16-19, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-19 01:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Networking upgrade to Axiom 9
Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I have tried to get all the information I can from previous forums but there are always slight variations to my situation so here goes:

Our boat is a 2002 Catalina 36 Mark ll

This is what I have:
1) ST60(not plus) Depth, Speed, Wind (older cylindrical style vane)
2) Autopilot
- SPX10 Smart Pilot
- ST6002 Smart Pilot Controller
3) RL70C Chartplotter
4) Raystar RS125 GPS Receiver
5) Standard Horizon GX2150 with AIS/DSC (GPS only available when chartplotter is on)
6) Radar is an old version Raytheon which just quit working recently

Recently purchased:
1) Axiom 9 Chartplotter
2) Quantum Radar (WiFi only)

Questions for you:
1) Can these components or some of them be interfaced with the Axiom 9
2) What parts would I need to accomplish this
3) Is this something most people should be able to do on their own

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-19, 02:15 PM
RE: [CA11] Networking upgrade to Axiom 9
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Airbus,

Q1) Can these components or some of them be interfaced with the Axiom 9
A1) Yes. All but the RL70 may be interfaced to the Axiom 9 MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how Pathfinder Series Display may be replaced with an Axiom MFD. The SeaTalk section of this FAQ specifically addresses how the the ST60(not plus) Depth, Speed, Wind, SPX10 Smart Pilot, and ST6002 Smart Pilot Controller, and Raystar 1250 GPS Sensor may all be interfaced to the Axiom MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. A NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.) may be used to interface the GX2150 to the system. An additional spur socket will need be added to the backbone created by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to accommodate the aforementioned NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device.

Q2) What parts would I need to accomplish this
A2) Please refer to the FAQ referenced above as well as the additional information conveyed in the response to Q1.

Q3) Is this something most people should be able to do on their own
A3) While the skills required to perform the upgrade vary with each individual, those comfortable with home repairs involving electrical devices will commonly tackle the upgrade themselves. Certified Raymarine Installers are available for those lacking the necessary skills or who are not interested in performing such upgrades themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply