Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E120 to Axiom 12 Does this look ok
12-17-19, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-19 01:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E120 to Axiom 12 Does this look ok
I am planning to replace my E120 MFD and RD218 Analog Radar with Axiom 12 and Quantum 2 Radar. I am keeping my ST60+ instruments, legacy autopilot, and Nema 0183 VHF combination AIS.
I put together a cabling diagram (attached).
1. Could you please confirm if it is OK.
2. Also with the two Seatalk runs both connected to the Autopilot computer will the autopilot information get transferred to tAutopilot computer.
3. Any other comments or suggestions would be applreciated.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Axiom 12 Proposed Connection Digram.pdf (Size: 89.66 KB / Downloads: 319)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-19, 01:34 PM
RE: [CA11] E120 to Axiom 12 Does this look ok
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chris,

Q1. 1. Could you please confirm if it is OK.
A1. Your diagram looks great ... I haven't seen many opt to install a SeaTalkng Inline Terminator (usually a T-Piece or 5-Way will be used to create a spur socket), but it is completely acceptable. For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacing an E-Series Classic MFD(s) with an Axiom MFD(s).

Q2. Also with the two Seatalk runs both connected to the Autopilot computer will the autopilot information get transferred to Autopilot computer.
A2. I assume that you mean navigational data from the MFD to support use of the autopilot's Track mode ... and the answer would be yes.

Q3. Any other comments or suggestions would be applreciated.
A3. Depending upon how Actisense or Gemeco package the NGW-1, it may be supplied with a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter. If not, then one will be required to interface the NGW-1 to the backbone's SeaTalkng spur socket. You have already noted that one of these will be required to interface the MFD to a spur socket within the backbone.
12-18-19, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-19 04:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the reply. For about an extra $10 I have decided to use a 5 way so I will have 2 spare ports with no added hardware. I will still have enough terminators from the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter to terminate everything.

The Actisense I am buying has the Seatalkng plug included so I show it as a single cable.

Also wanted to make sure you think that the A80308 Adapter cable will connect to the end of the old Analog RD218 cable that I plan to use for power to the new radar. Am only really buying it so I can get a cable end that will plug into the power plug on the Quantum 2. If there is a lower cost idea I would be interested.

Chris

Slightly revised Diagram attached

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Axiom 12 Proposed Connection DiagramV2.pdf (Size: 106.37 KB / Downloads: 359)
12-19-19, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 11:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
sel,

Q1. The Actisense I am buying has the Seatalkng plug included so I show it as a single cable.
A1. The diagram looks great. Please additionally note that two versions of the NGW-1 are typically sold. One of these has been programmed specifically with software to support interfacing it to an AIS receiver/transceiver. Accordingly please ensure that you order the NGW-1-ISO-AIS.

Q2. Quantum radomes are packaged with a Quantum Power Cable. Please note that Raymarine does not offer an adapter cable to permit Quantum radome to be adapted to an analog radar cable (i.e. one which would be used with a RD424 radome). Should you be only be seeking to use the currently installed radar cable to supply power to the Quantum radome, then the power and ground leads (heavy red, black, and green leads) of the Quantum Radome's power cable may be spliced to the power and ground leads (heavy red, black, and green leads) of the analog radar cable.
12-19-19, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 11:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I had selected the Q24D without cables as was planning to use my old cable for
power. I think there is no power cable at all. I really just need the connector to connect to the power inlet on the Q24D. It looks that adapter cable has that. It is less cost than the lowest cost power cable.

sel
01-18-20, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-20 01:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
As was suggested I will be attaching the existing the Raystar 125 GPS Antenna to a connector block that will be be connected to the existing Seatalk network.

My questions:
1. Since I am guessing that the output of the Raystar 125 is NEMA 0183 is the Sea talk to NG converter actually converting Seatak to NEMA 2000 (NG)?

2. If that is true why couldn't I use that to same connector block to attach my other NEMA 0183 (DSC and AIS) to convert my data to NEMA 2000 (NG) instead of using an Actisense.

One possibility could be there may be a data speed conflict 4800 for GPS and Seatalk versus 38400 for DCS and AIS and MEMA 2000 (NG). Or it may be something else I am not aware of.

I may have this all wrong. But I thought I would ask.

Update: while looking at my diagram posted in my earlier post I see that there is an error in the connection of the Raystar 125 to the block. The green should be attached to the red not to the yellow. Am I correct that the diagram is incorrect?

Chris
01-21-20, 02:01 PM
Q1. As was suggested I will be attaching the existing the Raystar 125 GPS Antenna to a connector block that will be be connected to the existing Seatalk network. hile looking at my diagram posted in my earlier post I see that there is an error in the connection of the Raystar 125 to the block. The green should be attached to the red not to the yellow. Am I correct that the diagram is incorrect?
A1. Indeed you are correct. The RS125's red and green leads should both be connected to SeaTalk red. The RS125's brown and black/bare leads should both be connected to SeaTalk black/shield. The RS125's yellow lead should be connected to SeaTalk yellow.

Q2. Since I am guessing that the output of the Raystar 125 is NEMA 0183 is the Sea talk to NG converter actually converting Seatak to NEMA 2000 (NG)?
A2. Depending upon how the RS125 has been interfaced to the system, it will support either SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 communications, but not both simultaneously. When interfaced as indicated within the response to Q1, the RS125 will support SeaTalk communications.

Q3. If that is true why couldn't I use that to same connector block to attach my other NEMA 0183 (DSC and AIS) to convert my data to NEMA 2000 (NG) instead of using an Actisense.
A3. Negative. When interfaced in a manner supporting NMEA 0183 communications, the Raystar 125 GPS sensor will support 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications, rather than 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications as is supported by your SH VHF/AIS receiver. Accordingly, these products should not be interfaced to the same terminal strip and the previously discussed Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS will be required to interface the SH VHF/AIS receiver to the system.
01-21-20, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok thanks .. all makes sense
01-22-20, 08:09 AM
You're welcome.