Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Feedback request on proposed SeaTalkNg on Regal 3560
12-19-19, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Feedback request on proposed SeaTalkNg on Regal 3560
Could use some help in validating my proposed network install on my 2005 Regal 3560. Attached is my proposed network layout. If anyone can validate or point out issues, I would be very grateful! (This will be my first Nema2k install).

I think most of it is pretty straight forward, but I definitely have questions around the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNg connections. Like..

1) Will the SeaTalk 1 devices pull power from the SeaTalkNg backbone or will they need seperate 12v power

2) Will this setup allow my SeaTalkNg/Nema2k network to see and use the data from the two SeaTalk 1 devices (Depth and Rudder sensor).

Thanks for any help!

John

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SeaTalkNg_Regal_3560.pdf (Size: 747.87 KB / Downloads: 234)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-19, 11:15 AM
RE: [CA11] Feedback request on proposed SeaTalkNg on Regal 3560
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Q1. Attached is my proposed network layout. If anyone can validate or point out issues, I would be very grateful!
A1. Nice job on the diagram. From the standpoint of a properly powered and terminated NMEA 2000 backbone constructed from SeaTalkng networking components, the diagram is correct. The Yacht Devices Engine Gateway YDEG-04 appears to have been terminated with a DeviceNet (M) socket (just like your MFD). Accordingly, an A06045 SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter will be required for each Yacht Devices Engine Gateway installed. Unfortunately, I can't weigh in on whether the Yacht Devices engine interfacing components selected are correct and would recommend that the compatibility of these components be verified with Yacht Devices.

The YDWG-02R model of Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 to WiFi Gateway features a SeaTalkng spur plug. Alternatively, the YDWG-02N model of Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 to WiFi Gateway may be adapted to be connected to a spur socket within the backbone.

Q2. Will the SeaTalk 1 devices pull power from the SeaTalkNg backbone or will they need seperate 12v power
A2. SeaTalk1 devices will be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a system's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s).

Q3. Will this setup allow my SeaTalkNg/Nema2k network to see and use the data from the two SeaTalk 1 devices (Depth and Rudder sensor).
A3. Yes.
12-20-19, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks so much for the help Chuck. Actually the versions of the YachtD devices I ordered are all SeaTalkNg versions, so they should just plug right into the T's and 5 way. I've also coordinated with them on the engine side already. So that combined with your help here should put in in a good spot. I think I'm ready and just need to wait on the rest of the parts to arrive and get a warm..ish day to start installing. Can't wait to bring my boat electronics into the modern world :-).
01-05-20, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-20 09:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, so after doing part of the install this weekend, I realized I neglected to account for the GPS signal to my Ray215 VHF radio (was coming from old raystar connected to C80 NMEA port). If I'm reading relevant FAQ correctly, If I just introduce the SeaTalkNG to NMEA 0183 converter (E70196) and connect to VHF NEMA input wires as shown in attached updated diagram, that should do the trick? I'm assuming there is no way to daisy-chain from the ST60 (which is already connected to the existing SeaTalk 1 converter) to the VHF?

Thanks again,

John

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SeaTalkNg_Regal_3560_v2.pdf (Size: 808.32 KB / Downloads: 237)
01-06-20, 08:57 AM
John,

Q1. If I'm reading relevant FAQ correctly, If I just introduce the SeaTalkNG to NMEA 0183 converter (E70196) and connect to VHF NEMA input wires as shown in attached updated diagram, that should do the trick?
A1. Indeed, the FAQ which you have referenced does address the situation of supplying GPS data from a system such as yours to a VHF radio having a NMEA 0183 communications interface. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter included with the E70196 will be installed as a backbone component within your system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. I'm assuming there is no way to daisy-chain from the ST60 (which is already connected to the existing SeaTalk 1 converter) to the VHF?
A2. Correct. SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters may support either SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging or SeaTalkng GPS data to 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 GPS data bridging ... but it cannot simultaneously support both functions. A second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be installed to support supplying 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 GPS data to the VHF radio.
01-06-20, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-20 10:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for confirming Chuck. Addition converter already on order. The upgrade journey continues!
01-06-20, 10:38 AM
You're welcome.
02-06-20, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-20 08:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Just an update for folks who stumble onto this thread...I completed my installation and everything went great. All the components did exactly what they should have. It was truly plug and play especially the Raymarine gear. Love the Axiom MFD and all the data I have access to now. Actually I added a few components that weren't part of the original plan. I added a Quantum 2 Doppler radar and an AR200 while I was at it. Thanks to Raymarine (Chuck) for all the help.
02-06-20, 08:18 PM
You're welcome.