Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] e165 involuntary, repetitive powering up
12-19-19, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 02:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] e165 involuntary, repetitive powering up
Hey all ... on 10DEC19, I finally got my hands on the cables and trunnion mounting kit I needed to test and install a new-to-me e165 (E70025) ... last night, 18DEC19, I tested it for the first time ... all seems good with one exception ... when powering off the unit (holding the Power key down for the 3, 2, 1 count), the screen goes dark and the red control backlighting briefly comes on (then goes off), then, after a second or two, the red control backlighting briefly comes on (then goes off) again and the unit comes back on by itself ... fully booting back up to the warnings screen ... the only way to get it to stay off is to disconnect the +12VDC power lead ... strange ... and ... what I'm reasonably sure is no coincidence, the built-in User Manual ('Operation Instructions [English] 81360-1-EN.pdf') was left at Page 351 of 390 ... '26.2 Power up troubleshooting'.

The MFD was (and still is) at s/w v14.36-00359 ... I have the v19.03a s/w ('R19-v19.03a_v19.00p_v1.20G_v1.20n_v1.20r_v1.20j_v17.03m-ISO.zip') ready to install, however, I would like to solicit opinions from other users and the Raymarine Forum Moderators about the wisdom of upgrading the s/w in this unit ... any (potential) downside(s)?

I have pulled the 'Diagnostic_Data ... ' files, 'MFDAPP ... ' logs and 'SYSLOG_ALL ... .tgz' file & 'SYSLOG_CURRENT ... .log' log ... Raymarine Forum Moderators ... just let me know what all you want uploaded, if any, from the depicted file heirarchy ... attached here as a manual PC screenshot (serial number redacted).

Thanks, Kevin Mc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-19, 03:09 PM
RE: [CA11] e165 involuntary, repetitive powering up
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Kevin,

When switching the MFD OFF, the POWER button should only be held down until the countdown to power off dialog disappears from the MFD's screen. Continuing to hold this button down may result in the MFD restarting.

While it is unlikely to address the reported issue, it is indeed recommended that the MFD's software be updated to LightHouse II v19.03. It is further recommended that a Power On Factory Reset be performed to the MFD. To do so, switch OFF the breaker supplying power to the MFD. While holding the MFD's BACK button pressed, switch ON the breaker supplying power to the MFD and continue holding the BACK button pressed until the "Raymarine Initialization" menu is displayed. Press the WPT button to reset the MFD. If/when this menu is displayed again, press the BACK button.

Should the above items not address this issue, then it would indicate a problem within the MFD's circuitry necessitating that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply