Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Displaying no heading
12-20-19, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 04:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Displaying no heading
Hi Raymarine team.

I updated my Axion.
after updating a warning "No heading" pops up every like 20 seconds. ( also tested when underway)

please see the attached screenshots. Interesting: the (correct) heading is displayed on the display.

I already disconnected the system from the NMEA000 Network to let it work stand alone- same result.
I reinstalled the firmware.

Any help is higly appreciated.

Swen

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-19, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 04:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom Displaying no heading
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Swen,

Please respond with the following:
- a system diagram (hand drawn will generally suffice) identifying the makes and models of each of the marine electronics devices within the system (including computers / tablets running navigational planning / chartplotting applications) may be be requested to support an investigation. The diagram should additionally identify how these devices have been interfaced to one another.

- the system's Ethernet and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device data (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO->SAVE DATA)
12-21-19, 04:20 PM
Chuck,
thanks a lot for the reply.

Please find attached the requested documents.
I checked the NMEA2000 stream and the Heading information is def. present.

Because everything worked fine unless i updated the firmware, i Would be happy to downgrade ( at least as a workaround)

Swen

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.json  Diagnostics_1.json (Size: 9.02 KB / Downloads: 246)
12-23-19, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-20 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Swen,

For clarity, some issues with the diagram should be verified:

- Should you not have performed a of the Axiom MFD following its software update to LH3 v3.11.42, then it is recommended that this action be undertaken.

- the connection between a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and the autopilot components shown is a SeaTalk rather than a NMEA 0183 connection

- the rudder reference transducer and fluxgate compass are connected to the S2G, not to the SeaTalk bus as is shown within the diagram.

- as indicated within the FAQ found [url=http://www.raymarine.com/]here
, one of the S2G's SeaTalk ports should be connected to the autopilot control head and the second of its SeaTalk ports will be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... in the latter SeaTalk connection to the autopilot course computer, the SeaTalk Cable's red lead will not be connected to the autopilot course computer's red SeaTalk terminal

- within the diagram, there is no indication regarding where the NMEA 2000 Power insertion spur is located. This power insertion spur should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

- Please note that fast heading data is required in support of many of LightHouse 3 software's heading dependent features. This will not be satisfied by interfacing a S1G/S2G/S3G to the system via SeaTalk alone. Additionally, the NMEA 0183 Port 1 output of these autopilot course computers would need to be interfaced to one of the NMEA 0183 input ports of a MFD within the system. Alternatively, the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 Port 1 output may be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1, etc.), which in turn would be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. In this case, the simplest means of accomplishing this end would be to interface the S2G's NMEA 0183 OUT1 port to the e97 MFD's NMEA 0183 IN2 port and NMEA 0183 Port 2 setting of the e97 MFD should be configured to NMEA 4800.

- verify that the software within each Raymarine product (excluding the autopilot) has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update ... the AIS700 is out of date.

- verify that the software within each third party product has been updated with the latest available product software update.

- the e97 MFD's NMEA 0183 Input Port, as it will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 OUT1 port of the S2G, will be configured as the system's Data Source for Heading data via the MFD's Data Sources feature. The 10Hz heading output of the autopilot will be required for proper operation of Radar application MARPA features as well as for maximum performance of other features requiring/utilizing heading data.

- the GPS sensing device having the best and unobstructed view of the skies overhead will be configured as the system's Data Source for GPS, Date & Time, and Datum data via the MFD's Data Sources feature.

If after having addressed the items listed above should the problem then persist, then it would be recommended a Power ON Factory Reset operation be performed to each of the system's MFDs to correct the problem as I have been unable to duplicate it within our office. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that all third party products be temporarily disconnected from the backbone and that the system then be tested. Should the problem not be duplicated when so tested, then the third party devices may be added one by one to the system until the device(s) is identified.
01-02-20, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-20 02:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, I have exactly the same problem and can confirm that this has only been the case since loading 3.11.42.
System diag attached.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  System.pdf (Size: 405.64 KB / Downloads: 341)
01-02-20, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-20 10:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum djangotoo,

Q. I have exactly the same problem and can confirm that this has only been the case since loading 3.11.42.
A. As indicated, I have been unable to duplicate the reported issue with my system. Please review the items identified to Swen, particularly the recommendation to perform the Power ON Factory Reset to each of the system's MFDs. Please ensure that is not backfeeding power to the SeaTalkng backbone per the FAQ found here and that the backbone has instead been powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable, also as indicated within the referenced FAQ. Please ensure that the backbone has been properly terminated ... your diagram does not indicate that any termination plugs have been installed within the backbone. Please additionally pay heed to the recommendation regarding the manual Data Source selections for GPS, GPS Datum, Date & Time, and Heading ... the latter should be the iTC-5 in the case of your system.
01-03-20, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-20 04:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck - I will try what you suggest when I am back at the boat. A couple of clarifications if I may:
1. I don't really understand your statement

"Please note that fast heading data is required in support of many of LightHouse 3 software's heading dependent features. This will not be satisfied by interfacing a S1G/S2G/S3G to the system via SeaTalk alone"

Are you implying that my current system i.e. S3 to network via ST to NG converter will not work?

2. Compass connected to S3 (sorry didn't include this in my diagram) therefore course not available to ITC5. Presumably the system has always goy course from S3 via ST-NG?

Thanks for your continued help,

Nigel
01-03-20, 04:45 PM
Nigel,

Q1. I don't really understand your statement

"Please note that fast heading data is required in support of many of LightHouse 3 software's heading dependent features. This will not be satisfied by interfacing a S1G/S2G/S3G to the system via SeaTalk alone". Are you implying that my current system i.e. S3 to network via ST to NG converter will not work?
A1. This statement does not apply to your system. I was directed at Swen's system, which features a gyro assisted S2G autopilot. Such autopilots support 10Hz heading output from their NMEA 0183 OUT1 port ... a requirement for features requiring stabilized 10Hz heading (i.e. MARPA radar) and maximize the performance of other features requiring heading data. Your S3 autopilot is not gyro assisted and therefore is only capable of 1Hz heading output ... the heading data rate supported by SeaTalk communications. While heading data from you autopilot will be bridged to SeaTalkng for use by the system, it data rate will accordingly be 1Hz rather than 10Hz and would accordingly not met the requirement for proper operation of the MARPA radar feature.

Q2. Compass connected to S3 (sorry didn't include this in my diagram) therefore course not available to ITC5. Presumably the system has always goy course from S3 via ST-NG?
A2. Raymarine autopilots don't output course data ... they output heading data. As indicated within my response to Q1, heading data will be bridged to SeaTalkng from your autopilot, albeit at 1Hz rather than 10Hz.
01-03-20, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-20 09:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
So the course being reported by this alarm is derived from changing GPS position i.e. COG??
01-06-20, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-20 05:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Nigel,

Q. So the course being reported by this alarm is derived from changing GPS position i.e. COG?
A. Negative. No Heading popping up intermittently may be indicative of a software or installation error. Please see my updated post from 01-02-20, 05:34 PM. Should you have addressed all of the items specified therein and within those items specified within my response to Swen ... please confirm and respond accordingly that all items have been addressed ... and are intermittently observing No Heading alarms on the MFD thereafter then please respond accordingly, provide an updated system diagram and respond with the the system's Ethernet and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device diagnostic data file (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->VIEW ALL PRODUCT INFO->SAVE DATA). Finally, please indicate whether the MFD which has been selected as the system's data source for GPS, GPS datum, Date & Time has been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. Please additionally, add a photo showing the MFD's installation location with respect to overhead objects.