Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] SOG not reading
12-23-19, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-19 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] SOG not reading
I am having a problem with my e-80 mfd . It is not giving me any speed information. The gps antenna is showing that I am receiving all of the satellite signals but I still do not have a speed showing. Position readings update as they should. Where would I look for what could be the problem for not being able to see a Speed over ground.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-19, 03:55 PM
RE: [CA11] SOG not reading
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum egavasm,

To be clear, are you referring to the Speed data item of a Databox, Databar, or data cell within a Data application or are you referring to the SOG data item. Note that the data item's label will clearly indicate "Speed" or "SOG".
12-29-19, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-19 08:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
On my data bar that I select what is shown such as temperature, position, etc, there is a speed over ground box which does not indicate anything, 0. I am running with a E80 mfd, connecting to a gps antenna, a 4kw radar, and a DSM 300 with a B164 1000 watt transducer without a speed wheel. All functions work ie. position lat lon etc except it no longer displays a speed. My guess is that the reading comes from gps. The gps antenna reads all satellites so would the problem be in the wiring, antennas, the mfd itself, or some other place. Where would one start to look?
12-30-19, 08:51 AM
egavasm,

Please indicate the make/mode of GPS which has been interfaced to the system, how it has been identified to the system, and the version of software which has been installed within the E-Series Classic MFD.
12-30-19, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-19 10:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The gps is Raymarine GPS Compass E32042,there are two wires from it that are connected to another cable that runs directly into the MFD. I do not have access to the devices at the moment but there were updates to e80 and dsm approximately a year ago. Nontheless, the equipment has not been changed and previously worked fine. The loss of the sog has just occurred and as I mentioned the mfd shows all the satellites active and I am seeing current lat lon readings which change as move the boat.
12-30-19, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-19 11:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
egavasm,

Q1. The gps is Raymarine GPS Compass E32042,there are two wires from it that are connected to another cable that runs directly into the MFD.
A1. It is recommended that you verify that the system has been interfaced to no more than one source of GPS data. If not, then please note that there are three methods of interfacing a RS125 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Classic MFD, and all would involve using all five of the RS125's leads:

- NMEA 0183:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3933]

- SeaTalk:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3934]

- SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000: The MFD must be updated with E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 software. The MFD's SeaTalk 2 (SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000) port will be connected to a spur socket of a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which includes a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been updated with v2.03 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software. An A06061 / 4.92in (1.5m) E-Series to SeaTalkng Adaptor Cable will be used to accomplish this end. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the E70196 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. A SeaTalk Cable will additionally be connected to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The other end of this SeaTalk Cable spliced to Raystar 125 GPS cable as follows:
----- red and green leads of RS125 to red lead of SeaTalk Cable
----- yellow leads of RS125 to yellow lead of SeaTalk Cable
----- brown and bare/black leads of RS125 to shield lead of SeaTalk Cable

Should you have verified proper interfacing of the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the MFD, then it would be recommended that the GPS be commanded to be restarted. Should the problem persist thereafter, then you may want to consider recording your MFD's settings, backing up you MFD's waypoint, route, and track data, and then commanding a System Settings & Data Reset. Should the latter fail to correct the issue, then the problem would appear to be rooted within the GPS sensor itself. Before replacing the GPS sensor, it would be recommended that its internal CR2032 memory battery be replaced and that the system be tested again when underway. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the GPS sensor be replaced with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)