Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CA] [CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder
01-06-20, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-20 10:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder
Hello,

I am hauling boat and will install new transducer for my I50 depth instrument.

I would like to also setup a fish finder and have I50 and fish finder connected to same transducer, or to each other.. I have 33' sailboat and am not doing this all the time so not looking for something overly fancy / costly.

I would like to evaluate and cost fish finder only and combined fish finder chartplotter.

Is anybody able to help?

Thanks!

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-20, 10:57 AM
RE: [CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, an instrument transducer cannot be used to support fishfinding capabilities within Raymarine products. However, it is possible to network the an i50 Depth to a currently manufactured Raymarine fishfinding display (ex. MFD or Element Display) w/compatible fishfinder transducer to repeat depth information from the fishfinding display. It is not possible to modify the transducer permit it to be simultaneously interfaced to both the fishfinding display and instrument. The fishfinding display and I50 Depth would each be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed. It is recommended that you consider an Element-S display w/CPT-S Transducer (fits within the same 2" [censored] used by most instrument depth-only or depth/temp transducer) or an Axiom 7 DVS MFD which would also be interfaced to a CPT-S Transducer.
01-09-20, 03:06 PM
Hi Chuck thanks very much for the concise answer - I really appreciate it.

So the Element-S instrument and CPT-S transducer is all that's required? The backbone would tie everything together and give me the flexibility to integrate my speed and wind instruments, correct?

This is fantastic thanks again!

Andrew
01-09-20, 03:46 PM
Andrew,

The Element-S display will function as a Chartplotter/Fishfinder display when interfaced to the aforementioned CPT-S Transducer and a compatible chart card is present within the display's memory card reader. The Element displays have additional capabilities beyond Chartplotter/Fishfinder features (ex. radar, engine monitoring, etc.) when interfaced to the corresponding accessories. When interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which an i50 Depth instrument has also been interfaced as a spur, then the i50 Depth instrument can repeat depth data from the Element display. Should the aforementioned backbone have been constructed Raymarine's SeaTalkng networking components, one the following adaption options may be used to interface an Element display as a spur to a spur socket within the backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Should the system feature Raymarine's i50 Speed and i60 Wind instruments and should these items also have each been interfaced as a spur to the aforementioned backbone, then wind and speed through water (STW) data may be shared with the Element-S display to support the Sailing Dials feature supported by LightHouse Sport v3.10.10 (the software which runs on the Element displays). This would also permit wind and STW data to be available to the Element display to permit the corresponding data items to be displayed and to support other features which utilize these data items (ex. True Wind calculation, etc.).
01-09-20, 04:28 PM
Fantastic Chuck - thanks again!

I also understand I could use Navionics charts also - is this correct?

I think I will draft up a wiring diagram for everything I have and then post for verification before I tackle this project.

I really appreciate your help and detailed explanations!

Regards,

Andrew
01-10-20, 08:45 AM
Andrew,

Q. I also understand I could use Navionics charts also - is this correct?
A. Navionics charts are indeed compatible with Element displays. Any of the types of charts found here are also compatible with Element displays. Consult the LightHouse Sport (Version 3.10) Advanced Operating Instructions for supported cartography features with in conjunction with each of these cartography options.
01-11-20, 09:06 PM
Hi Chuck thanks again for your help thus far. There's so much documentation and it's difficult to piece this together without your expert advice! I'm think I'm getting close.

Here's where I'm at...

Old boat had “I” series wind, depth and speed.

New boat has ST60 wind and ST4000 Autopilot.

I will buy Element MFD and CPT-S transducer for fishfinder capabilities.

I want to integrate existing ST60 / ST4000 with new I50 speed and depth (already installed) and Element MFD.

I have attached a proposed diagram (work in progress).

Questions…

1. Do I need separate power to Seatalkng 5 way connector and Element MFD?
2. Do ST60 wind and ST4000 Autopilot require Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
3. What do you think of my wiring diagram (attached)?
4. I have I60 wind (from old boat) and better wind instrument which I would eventually replace. Does this mean that I would no longer need Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
5. If I were to integrate I60 wind, what would be the compatible replacement for ST4000 autohelm?

Thanks again for your help it is very much appreciated!

Regards,

Andrew
01-13-20, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 10:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andrew,

General comment: Please note that unlike the ST4000+/ST5000+, the ST4000/ST5000 autopilots are not supported (have not been tested) for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter. It is typically recommended that autopilot designs which preceded the ST4000+/ST5000+ be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to the current generation of equipment. To do so, the autopilot would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. Next, an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device would typically be interfaced as spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 output leads of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG would then be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the ST4000/ST5000 to support providing the autopilot with wind and navigational data to support Vane mode and Track mode respectively.

Q1. Do I need separate power to Seatalkng 5 way connector and Element MFD?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Do ST60 wind and ST4000 Autopilot require Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
A2. See comment above, as the ST4000 will need to be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus.

Q3. What do you think of my wiring diagram (attached)?
A3. Other than the changes specified within my opening comment and response to Q2, your diagram appears to be correct in all respects except for Termination plugs (these should be installed in the two unoccupied backbone sockets) and DeviceNet (F) to STng Spur Adapter (required to mate the Element display's NMEA 2000 socket to a NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.

Q4. I have I60 wind (from old boat) and better wind instrument which I would eventually replace. Does this mean that I would no longer need Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
A4. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would not be required if the ST60 Wind instrument was replaced with an i60 Wind instrument.

Q5. If I were to integrate I60 wind, what would be the compatible replacement for ST4000 autohelm?
A5. The answer to this question is dependent upon the make/model of autopilot drive unit which is presently installed onboard the vessel. If supplied with this information along the weight of the vessel (if a sailboat) or steering ram capacity (if vessel features hydraulic steering) then we may be able to advise regarding a replacement for the ST4000 autopilot (control head/course computer).
01-13-20, 03:55 PM
Hi Chuck thanks again for the response am I using up all my support tokens :-)?

So let's leave the autohelm out of this (I only use this to hold a set course for a short period of time and don't think I'd gain much based on our usage by interfacing with Element).

Maybe I will go at it this way...

1. I want to see true wind speed on wind instrument and be able to hold course based on apparent wind angle. To do this I would need ST60 wind to read I50 speed data, correct? Will these 2 work together?
2. Can I replace (do I need to) replace ST60 wind with I60 wind and still maintain Autohelm ST4000?
3. I would like to see true/apparent wind speed and direction on Element. Also speed over ground and speed through the water.
4. Speed and depth transducers could optionally be connected to backbone, correct?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the detailed responses piecing the old with the new is quite challenging.

I look through all your other detailed responses and appreciate your depth of knowledge and level of effort you put into individual support and configuration issues.

I think we're getting close.

Regards,

Andrew
01-13-20, 04:35 PM
Andrew,

I have to admit, the combinations and permutations which you are suggesting may be becoming a bit challenging to keep track of.

Q1a. I want to see true wind speed on wind instrument and be able to hold course based on apparent wind angle. To do this I would need ST60 wind to read I50 speed data, correct?
A1a. Correct.

Q1b. Will these 2 work together?
A1b. Yes ... recommend that the i50 Speed be interfaced to the backbone and that the and ST60 Wind be interfaced to the system via the SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2. Can I replace (do I need to) replace ST60 wind with I60 wind and still maintain Autohelm ST4000?
Q2. So ... the ST4000 is back in the system again??? If it will be interfaced to the system for wind ... or for track data, it will need to be interfaced to the system in the manner which I had specified within my last response (i.e. wind data, as well as navigational data will be sent to the ST4000 via NMEA 0183 communications. This will also permit the Element display to receive wind data to support its wind based features. This would require that an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG be installed as a spur and that it be interfaced to the ST4000's NMEA 0183 input terminals. The ST4000 would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus.

Q3. I would like to see true/apparent wind speed and direction on Element. Also speed over ground and speed through the water.
A3. See my response to Q1 and Q2.

Q4. Speed and depth transducers could optionally be connected to backbone, correct?
A4. Should a fishfinder transducer be installed, then it will need to be directly interfaced to the Element S display's Transducer port. Should an i50 Speed instrument be installed within the system which you have specified, then an analog instrument speed transducer would need to be installed and it would need to be directly interfaced to the i50 Speed instrument's terminals. Should the CPT-S transducer not be installed and an i50 Depth be installed, then an analog instrument depth transducer will need be installed and would need to be directly interfaced to the i50 Depth instrument's terminals.