Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Connecting St5000+ to Garmin 4210
01-08-20, 09:34 AM
RE: [CA11] Connecting St5000+ to Garmin 4210
Jamie,

Q1. If I find that the Autopilot control unit is defective (assuming the pump is still good) what unit/package would you recommend to replace it on a Grady White 282 Sailfish.
A1. Autopilots for hydraulically steered vessels are not selected based upon vessel types and with second hand vessels which did not feature a factory installed autopilot, one should not assume that the currently installed autopilot components are correct for the vessel. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, for hydraulically steered vessels, autopilot selection starts with checking the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram(s).

Q2. If I purchase the Seatalk 1 to SeaTalkng converter kit you mentioned what other connectors/cables will I need to tie into the existing Garmin 2k network. I am only asking because I only see 2 cables in the picture and one of them doesn’t have a connector on one of the ends. I am trying to visualize how and where this will tie into the Garmin 2k network.
A2. As you have stated that the vessel already features a powered and properly terminated NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from Garmin NMEA 2000 networking components and Garmin NMEA 2000 networking components are typically terminated with DeviceNet (M) or DeviceNet (F) connectors, the following method would be used to connect the two systems.
- the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable will not be used
- a SeaTalkng Termination Plug (blue) will be inserted into one of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's backbone (blue) sockets.
- the supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will be mated to the ST5000+ in the manner specified within my initial response.
- the supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will be mated to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- a length of SeaTalkng Backbone appropriate to span the distance between the remaining backbone (blue) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter one of the ends of the currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone will be purchased from an authorized Rayamrine dealer.
- as indicated within the FAQ found here, a field installable DeviceNet (M) or DeviceNet (F) connector (ex. Maretron Micro/Mid Field Attachable Connectors, etc.) be used to replace the remaining backbone plug of a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.
- the NMEA 2000 Termination Plug will be remove from the one of the existing NMEA 2000 backbone's T connectors.
- the SeaTalkng backbone cable will then be connected to the socket which the NMEA 2000 Termination Plug had previously connected.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Connecting St5000+ to Garmin 4210 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-08-20 09:34 AM