Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing SmartPilot S3G course computer to Garmin gpsmap 4208
01-09-20, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-20 01:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing SmartPilot S3G course computer to Garmin gpsmap 4208
I'm wondering if its feasible to interface my Raymarine S3G Smartpilot with my Garmin 4208 chartplotter with the goal of being able to have the autopilot "track" command function via a course plotted on the chartplotter.
I have upgraded the original controller with a new p70Rs and the autopilot and other Raymarine equipment on the Seatalk 1 network are ST60 depth sounder and ST60 paddlewheel knotmeter. I have removed an old Raymarine hsb2 PLUS Series color LCD radar display on which the screen had deteriorated so badly it was unusable.
The Garmin 4208 is connected to a radar antenna and gps 17x antenna via NMEA 2000 backbone. Garmin has input connections for NMEA 2k cable, NMEA 0183 cable, garmin network cables, video cable and power cable.
I know this is a scant amount of information and at this point would like to know if you feel such an interface is possible.
Thank you,
George Harmon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-20, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-20 01:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Interfacing SmartPilot S3G course computer to Garmin gpsmap 4208
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum George,

Were this not involving a legacy Raymarine autopilot and a third party NMEA 2000 system, I might have suggested that a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit be used as part of the solution. However, the time proven solution would be to simply:
- interface the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output port of the third party chartplotter/MFD to the NMEA 0183 input port of either the autopilot's control head or course computer.

If additionally desiring to have the heading and/or rudder angle data supplied to the third party chartplotter/MFD:
- interface the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input port of the third party chartplotter/MFD to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT of the autopilot's course computer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply