Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] UAV application with Axiom XL
01-10-20, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-20 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] UAV application with Axiom XL
I would like to use a UAV with my Axiom XL. The Axiom XL has an external card reader that is attached to the same place where the UAV's controller is supposed to be attached. Therefore, I must first detach the external card reader to attach the USB cable running from the UAV's controller to the Axiom XL. This is fine, but clearly I will not be able to use my Navionics chart simultaneously with the UAV. Is there some sort of "splitter" I can buy so that the card reader can be simultaneously connected with the UAV controller to the Axiom XL? Even if there is a splitter, would the Axiom XL be able to handle both the card reader and the UAV controller at the same time? I assume it can utilize the preloaded system maps even if the Navionics maps cannot be used. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Final question: I have two Axiom XL MFDs. Both have external card readers. Is it possible to run the Navionics through one of the Axiom XL readers and the UAV through the other so that the Navionics will appear on the same screen as the UAV?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-20, 03:59 PM
RE: [CA11] UAV application with Axiom XL
Welcome to the Raymarine Mig888,

Q1. I must first detach the external card reader to attach the USB cable running from the UAV's controller to the Axiom XL.
Q1. Alternatively, the chart card may be moved to the MFD's memory card reader or that of an interfaced MFD's memory card reader (i.e. remove the microSD chart card from it SD adapter sleeve and insert it into the MFD's microSD memory card slot.

Q2. This is fine, but clearly I will not be able to use my Navionics chart simultaneously with the UAV.
A2. N/A ... see response to Q1.

Q3. Is there some sort of "splitter" I can buy so that the card reader can be simultaneously connected with the UAV controller to the Axiom XL?
A3. Negative.

Q4. Even if there is a splitter, would the Axiom XL be able to handle both the card reader and the UAV controller at the same time?
Q4. N/A.

Q5. I assume it can utilize the preloaded system maps even if the Navionics maps cannot be used.
A5. See my response to Q1. When interfaced to one another via Ethernet networking (RayNet / SeaTalkhs) cartography, as well as all other system resources and data are shared among the system's MFDs. While the Axiom UAV feature may only be exercised on the MFD which has been connected to the UAV's remote control, cartography from chart cards within the readers (or remote card readers) of the system's MFDs will be available to all MFDs within the system.

Q6. I have two Axiom XL MFDs. Both have external card readers. Is it possible to run the Navionics through one of the Axiom XL readers and the UAV through the other so that the Navionics will appear on the same screen as the UAV?
A6. Yes. See the responses to Q1 & Q5.
01-10-20, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 01:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I take delivery of the boat next month so I have not yet seen or used my Axiom XL MFDs yet. I did not think they came with an internal micro sd memory card slot, but instead I thought they only have external memory card readers. Where is the built in memory card slot on the Axion XL 19?
01-13-20, 01:48 PM
Mig888,

As you have suggested, the Axiom XL MFDs do not feature an internal microSD memory card reader and are dependent upon one or more of the system's MFDs to have a Remote Card Reader attached to its USB port. In the case of your system, should it feature two Axiom XL MFDs, then the USB port of one Axiom MFD would be interfaced to a Remote Card Reader and the second MFD would be interfaced to the UAV's remote control. Should it turn out that the system was installed with two Remote Card Readers, then one of these would need to be unplugged to permit the UAV's remote control to be plugged into the MFD's USB socket. As indicated earlier, cartography is shared among the system's MFDs.
01-13-20, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-20 09:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck
01-14-20, 09:42 AM
You're welcome.